Wednesday 6 March 2013

Stir Fried Bitter Gourd with Meat


Bitter gourd (melon) might turn some people away from it due to its bitterness. However, it can really sweeten your health because of its disease preventing and health promoting phyto chemical compounds.


Bitter gourd is very low in calories but rich in nutrients. It is an excellent source of vitamins B1, B2, and B3, C, magnesium, folic acid, zinc, phosphorus and manganese. Besides, it is high in fiber too. Bitter melon is recommended as insulin replacement in some diabetic patients.

My children did not like bitter gourd when they were kids but I insisted that they gave it a try whenever I cooked it. Now they like it very much! :)

The other day I was quite busy and didn't have time to cook. So, my hubby packed 2 meat dishes from the restaurant nearby and I just fried a simple veggie dish. One of the dishes he packed was sweet sour pork. My goodness, we didn't finish this dish as it was too salty for us. So, the next day I cooked it with bitter gourd and well, not bad leh.... We love it so much.

Ingredients :

- 1 bitter gourd (washed, de-seeded and sliced)
- 1/2 bowl of deep fried pork belly
- ginger (washed and crushed)
- garlic (washed and finely chopped)
- 1/2 tbsp of taucu (bean paste)
- soy sauce (to taste)
- salt (to taste)
- 1 cup water

cooking oil

Method :
1)  Heat oil in a wok. Saute garlic and ginger until aromatic.
2)  Add bitter gourd and stir fry for 1 or 2 minutes
3)  Add deep fried meat and the remaining ingredients.  
4)  Stir and mix well and add water.
5)  Cover and let it simmer until bitter gourd is soft and cooked.
6)  Dish out and serve.

  For more and latest updates, pls follow my blog with bloglovin.  Simply click and follow :




Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me comments.. I really appreciate all your visits and comments! Have a nice day :)

4 comments:

  1. Bitter gourd with meat new to me . looks yummy
    .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beena. Bitter gourd can be cooked in different Chinese cuisine. We cook it with soup, eggs,stuff with meat/fish, etc. Have you tried bitter gourd with chicken? Will share with you soon. It's simple and yummy..

      Delete
  2. Hi Ivy, today I'm collecting recipes using melons. Please drop me a line on ca4ole@gmail.com if you are ok with me linking to your post on Carole's Chatter. Cheers

    ReplyDelete

To receive new updates, do LIKE SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL AND HEALTHY LIVING FACEBOOK. Thanks for visiting my blog and have a nice day :)