Thursday 4 July 2013

Ginger Lemongrass Tea

Haven't been feeling well for the past 2 weeks and at the same time I felt bloated on and off.  It's quite uncomfortable.  Then it crossed my mind that I should make Ginger Lemongrass Tea as this is a very popular natural home remedy for bloating and indigestion.  It is very easy to prepare and delicious too!

Ingredients : (adjust to your taste)
- 16 stalks of lemongrass (take the white stems, washed, slit and crushed)
- 3 thumbsized unpeeled old ginger (washed and crushed)
- some pandan leaves/screwpines (washed and knotted)
- some honeycomb sugar (to taste)
- some lemon juice
- enough water

Method :
1)  Boil all the ingredients (except the pandan leaves and lemon juice) in a pot of water for about 10 minutes.
2)  Then, lower the heat and let it simmer for about 30 minutes.
3)  Add pandan leaves and continue simmer for another 10 minutes.
4)  Serve it with lemon juice.
Note :  For bloating or indigestion, it is advisable to drink it hot.
You can also chill it for a refreshing drink.  
This slice of lemon doesn't look nice because I only realized I need a slice of it for photography after I had squeezed the juice! And it was also the last lemon I had on that day, hehehe...
Do enjoy :)

I'm linking this post to Little Thumbs Up organised by Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids and Doreen of My Little Favourite DIY and hosted by Alvin of Chef and Sommelier


I'm also linking this post to September 2013 Cooking With Herbs Blog Challenge hosted by Lavender and Lovage.



To receive new updates, please LIKE SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL AND HEALTHY LIVING ON FACEBOOK. Thanks!!!
Follow this blog with bloglovin Follow on Bloglovin
Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me comments.. I really appreciate all your visits and comments! Have a nice day :)

27 comments:

  1. Hi Ivy, thanks for visiting my blog. I love this drink too, good when having a cough/cold too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ivy , just what I need ... love teas , all types and this is a must try ... thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nee, you can reduce the lemongrass and ginger if you are preparing it just for a refreshing drink. Chill it in the fridge. That's how I usually do it. However, this time, as I was bloated and indigestion, I increased the lemongrass and ginger and had it hot. Healthy for the whole family :)

      Delete
  3. Yummy!! I can't wait to make it at home. This is looking very beautiful.
    Thanks for providing recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ivy, this is definitely refreshing! I would love to take it cold as I only like cold drinks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phong Hong, my children like it cold also. My hubby likes it hot. Whereas, I like both hot and cold. For this time around, my children didn't take it. They complained a bit 'spicy' for them. My hubby and I finished the whole pot. And the next day, my bloating was gone!

      Delete
  5. I've seen this served somewhere...either at a Thai restaurant or one exotic cafe here - but I never tried. Maybe I can make my own...got this Bentong ginger powder from a friend - can use that perhaps.

    P.S.:
    Thanks for dropping by my blog. Do hop over anytime, always welcome - I've linked you in my blogroll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you can try to substitute fresh ginger with ginger powder. should be nice too.
      Thanks so much for dropping by my humble blog too and thanks for linking me in your blogroll. Am following you too :)

      Delete
  6. Hi Ivy, I love this refreshing and healthy drink. Will definitely make this at home :)
    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann, thanks so much for visiting my humble blog too.

      Delete
  7. Ivy, this is very refreshing drink. I used to boil this [recipe from Noob Cook] but so far haven't tried adding lemon slices. Now I mum is making this drink for my brother's family almost weekly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kimmy, I added lemon juice to it as I love the smell and the taste of the lemon. It's very refreshing esp with the lemon juice. Try it and you will love it :)

      Delete
  8. I've had this before in a Vietnamese restaurant. But I do boil lemon grass with green apples for pain in my joints.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheah, now I have another home remedy for joint pain - lemongrass with green apples. Thanks so much! I am going to try this :)

      Delete
  9. Hi Ivy! Thanks for linking this post to the LTU!

    I'm also thinking of making a ginger beverage... but a cold refresher. Let's see if I have some time this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Ivy,

    I remember feeling water-logged and bloated with wind after childbirth and was asked to eat lots of gingery food. I was told too that ginger can help me to slim down faster... LOL! To certain extent, I think this is true. Gingery food does help. I must have your gingery tea if I'm feeling bloated.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zoe,
      Yes and it's very refreshing too! Even if you are not feeling bloated, occasionally you still can make it for your family. Just reduce the ginger and the lemongrass. It's very healthy :)

      Delete
  11. Hi Ivy, I love ginger and this tea looks so refreshing! I 'll be making this pretty soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Doris, this is very refreshing. Have a nice weekend :)

      Delete
  12. Hey there! Loved your post!

    I am a huge tea lover and I'm always on the look out for new flavors, especially if they can make my life healthier. I often use ginger in my cookings and I also drink Lemongrass tea on a regular basis, but I haven't combined them together yet. It seems interesting and I will give it a try!

    http://www.therighttea.com/lemongrass-tea.html

    I love drinking lemongrass because not only it improves digestion, but also soothes headaches and it is a wonderful detox tea. I always keep it in my pantry!

    ReplyDelete
  13. this should be just divine, Ivy..esp with the lemon grass. I have always been curious to know what these pandan leaves are ..have seen too many recipes using it..but not sure if we get it here in the middle east.

    Rgds n have a great week ahead...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sona and you too, have a great day :)

      Delete

To receive new updates, do LIKE SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL AND HEALTHY LIVING FACEBOOK. Thanks for visiting my blog and have a nice day :)