Thursday 18 July 2013

Refreshing Chinese Mustard (Gai Choy) Chicken Soup

This recipe is more towards a post about Pork Ribs with Chinese Mustard (Cai Choy) Soup which I had blogged earlier.  Besides that, Chinese Mustard is also very suitable for stir fry especially if you stir fried it with tofu.  It's very yummy too.  Chinese Mustard soup is very refreshing  and if you like ginger, just add extra ginger and I'm sure you would love this soup. 
Ingredients :
- 1/2 chicken (cut and blanched)
- 2 bunches of Chinese Mustard (cut)
- 2 carrots (cut into chunks)
- 4 thumbsized ginger (skin intact, halved and crushed)
- water enough for soup

Seasoning : (to taste)
- salt

Method :
1)  Boil enough water for the soup.  Add Chinese mustard, carrots and ginger into it.
2)  Once boiled, add chicken.  Let it boiled at high heat for about 15 minutes.
3)  Lower the heat and let it simmer for about 2 hours.
4)  Season with salt.
5) Serve hot.
Very refreshing soup especially during the current hot weather.
Do give this a try :)

I'm linking this post to Little Thumbs Up organised by Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids and Doreen of My Little Favourite DIY and hosted by Alvin of Chef and Sommelier.


To receive new updates, do LIKE me on FACEBOOK. Thanks! http://www.bloglovin.com/en/blog/6015563 Follow this blog with bloglovin Follow on Bloglovin Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me comments.. I really appreciate all your visits and comments! Have a nice day :)

24 comments:

  1. Hi Ivy, nice soup. Add some tamarind slices, dried chillies, salted sour plum and lemongrass, it's another kind of soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kimmy, thanks so much for sharing your tips. Will do as per your advice.

      Delete
  2. Hi Ivy! I love this soup because of 2 ingredients - Ginger and Chinese Mustard!

    Never thought of using chinese mustard in a soup, brilliant idea! I usually "stew" the vegetable with roast port and dried scallop, dried shrimp and mushroom! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alvin, I do stew it with those ingredients you mentioned too. I love Chinese Mustard and it's yummy no matter how we prepare it. I like the bitter sweet flavour :)

      Delete
  3. Love Mustard Greens, Ivy. This soup sounds like my kind of soup. Although, soup or any kind of food except maybe ice cream, is just not doing much for me in this heat!

    I think I'll save this for cooler times:)

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louise, whenever I happened to see Mustard Greens, I would just grabbed it as it's not easy available here especially at this time of the year. However it's abundant at the end and beginning of the year. I cook this kind of soup especially during the humid weather as we believe it's cooling for the body. Do give this a try.

      Delete
  4. Wow, your food shots make me drool! I'm a soup person, & would love to try this yummy dish. Thks for visiting Luxury Haven! Looking fwd to sharing our love for food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley, thanks for visiting my humble blog too. Have a nice weekend ahead :)

      Delete
  5. Ivy, I love Chinese mustard! Especially stir fried with lots of garlic or the one cooked in hot sour soup. I must try your soup as I have not used Chinese mustard with chicken soup before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phong Hong, I love Gai choy too. I usually like to boil soup with it when the weather is humid and hot but sometimes it's not easy to get it. Have a nice weekend, Phong Hong :)

      Delete
  6. This soup looks good & sounds like a great comfort food for a cold day. Bookmarking to try this recipe for the coming autumn / winter. Thanks for sharing this recipe! Have a lovely weekend , Ivy! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kit and do enjoy your weekend with your loved ones :)

      Delete
  7. I love this soup very mush. yummy...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ivy, This refreshing soup of yours brought back childhood memories....my mum used to boil this mustard soup with pork ribs but without the carrots.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Doris, my mum also boil with with pork ribs too. She would also add fresh tomatoes. I like it with carrots.

      Delete
  9. This soup looks delicious! Love how vibrant it looks with all those veggies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy. Have a nice weekend with your loved ones :)

      Delete
  10. Hi Ivy,

    I think this soup is delicious too for cold wintery weather. Looking at your delicious soup does make me feel a little "warmer".

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Zoe, oh yes. Give this a try and you will love it.
    Add more ginger during the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Ivy,
    My family loves soup. Every meal I had to prepare a soup and sometimes am runing out of idea what soup to cook.. : p
    Your soup looks very comforting and I like it is easy to prepare.
    mui

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My family loves soup too. We can have one pot meal soup too. No problem for us.

      Delete

To receive new updates, do LIKE SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL AND HEALTHY LIVING FACEBOOK. Thanks for visiting my blog and have a nice day :)