Saturday 7 September 2013

Thai Mango Sticky Rice

The first time I had Mango Sticky Rice was quite sometimes back when we went to Bangkok for holidays. Since then, we hadn't had any of this dessert until few days ago when I happened to see a video about Bangkok. When I saw Sticky Mango Rice in this video, I asked my girls if they still remember this dessert.  They told me they would love to have this dessert again and instantly I told them I would try to do it for them.  
Later, I regretted why I was too spontaneous in fulfilling their wishes. Oh no, I don't even have the slightest idea how it's being prepared. So, in order not to disappoint them, I goggled for the recipe.
There were quite a number of it and I settled for Rasa Malaysia's version. I didn't know that it's so easy to prepare and my youngest girl can also do it!
Ingredients : (my amendments are in red)
- 1 cup (200g/7oz) glutinous rice
- 2-3 Pandan (screwpine) leaves, cut into 2-inch length (knotted)
- 2-3 Asian mangoes, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup (250ml) coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup (55g/2oz) sugar
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds (I omitted)
Optional:
Banana leaf for steaming (I omitted this.  I used rice cooker to cook the rice)

Method:
1) Soak the glutinous rice for at least 8 hours or overnight.

2) Prepare the steamer with a banana leaf. Drain the glutinous rice and spread it out on the banana leaf. Throw in the Pandan leaves. Steam the glutinous rice for 20-25 minutes or until translucent. (I used rice cooker)

2)  Cook rice with pandan leaves in your usual rice cooker. Add water accordingly.  Do take note that the water required to cook the rice may differ depending on the model of the rice cooker.  That's why I didn't mention the amount of water required. 

3) While the glutinous rice is cooking, cut the mangoes into small cubes and chill in the refrigerator until use.
4)  In a sauce pan, heat up the coconut milk over low heat. Add in the salt and sugar. Keep stirring until the sugar dissolved. Remove from the heat. Pour out 1/4 cup of the coconut milk and reserve for serving.

5)  When the glutinous rice is cooked, transfer it into a bowl. 

6)  Pour the rest of the coconut milk into the bowl and mix it with the glutinous rice. Keep stirring until it becomes a thick porridge consistency. 
7)  Slowly, the rice will absorb all the coconut milk. Leave it to cool at room temperature.

8)  Serve the sticky rice with the chilled mangoes. Drizzle the reserved coconut milk over the rice and top it with some toasted sesame seeds. (I omitted the sesame seeds) 
Cook’s Notes:
You can use a muslin/cheese cloth to steam the glutinous if you do not have a banana leaf.

Make this for your family over the weekends,
and they will thank you for it....
~Have a wonderful weekend with your loved ones over this sweet sweet dessert~


I am submitting this Post to Little Thumbs Up September - Pandan hosted by Joceline @ Butter, Flour & Me, organized by Z OE @ Bake For Happy Kids and Little Mui Mui @ My Favourites DIY .


To receive new updates, do LIKE me on FACEBOOK. Thanks!

http://www.bloglovin.com/en/blog/6015563 Follow this blog with bloglovin Follow on Bloglovin Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me comments.. I really appreciate all your visits and comments! Have a nice day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

To receive new updates, do LIKE SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL AND HEALTHY LIVING FACEBOOK. Thanks for visiting my blog and have a nice day :)