Wednesday 20 November 2013

Braised Narcissus Pork Trotters Bee Hoon/Rice Vermicelli (猪脚米粉)

I have been quite busy lately and when it's time to prepare meals for my family, I go for the simplest and the easiest way; without having to cook few dishes. It would usually all-in-one pot dish or just one-dish meals. I usually serve noodles or bee hoon (rice vermicelli) when I am busy or just for a change.

Braised Pork Trotters Bee Hoon is one of our favourites.  I am sure most Chinese families have been eating this since their childhood days and I am no exception.  It's so easy to prepare and yummylicous too.  I remember Phong Hong's Braised Pork Trotters Bee Hoon which I came across recently and decided to follow her recipe.  In fact, it's more or less the same, except that my way of cooking has added ingredients such as shredded mushroom, bird's eyes chilies (cili padi) but minus the fish sauce and Chinese Cooking Wine.  Do hop over to Phong Hong's blog and you will be drooling over her yummy pics.  So, this time, I practically follow her recipe with some very minor changes.

Ingredients :
- 1 packet bee hoon
- 2 cans Narcissus pork trotters with mushrooms
- 1 bunch of choy sum
- 6 cloves garlic (chopped)
- Cooking oil

Sauce ingredients : (to taste) - Mixed and stir well
- 1 tbsp dark soya sauce
- 2 tbsp light soya sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- A dash of Chinese cooking wine (Hua Tiao Chiew)
- Hot water (enough to braise the bee hoon)

Method :
1. Rinse and soak bee hoon in water until softened. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat up oil in wok and saute garlic until fragrant.
3. Empty the cans of pork trotters into the wok.
4. Briefly stir it over low heat for a while before adding the sauce mixture.  Then, turn up heat and bring the sauce mixture to a boil.

5.  Add vegetables and bee hoon.  Stir and mix well. If you need to add water, do add hot water.

6. Cover the wok and braise the noodles on high heat for about 10 minutes or until noodles are cooked.

7. For even braising, toss the bee hoon occasionally.
You can see that there are still some chunks of meat.  I didn't break the meat into small pieces as hubby prefers chunky meat!
I usually stock up a few cans of Narcissus Pork Trotters and packets of bee hoon so that I can cook this yummylicious braised bee hoon whenever we crave for it.
You can also serve it with bird's eyes chili soy sauce
Have a wonderful week ahead :)


To receive new updates, do LIKE me on FACEBOOK. Thanks!

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me comments.. I really appreciate all your visits and comments! Have a nice day :)

36 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks YC and have a wonderful day ahead :)

      Delete
  2. It's the same with me Ivy, one pot meal especially noodles which is perfect. Pork is a taboo for my other half, therefore I shall cook with maybe with fish but the rest the same for the wonderful flavors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nava, have you tried canned sardine with bee hoon? It's nice too. Have a great day ahead :)

      Delete
  3. Yummy, childhood favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ivy , boy what a delicious dish , thanks for sharing :0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Nee. Have a wonderful day ahead :)

      Delete
  5. Easy and full of flavour, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi ivy,
    This is old time favourite.
    I love one pot meal too. It's fast, easy and very flavourful.
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks delicious! I would love some of this right now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmh, looks like such a delicious treat.
    Packed with flavor and healthy ingredients it's perfect for this season.
    My husband and children too are great fans of Chinese cuisine so I 'm sure this recipe is going to be a hit:)
    Thanks for sharing,Ivy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Daniela. Do have a great weekend ahead :)

      Delete
  9. Bee Hoon always tastes amazing with braised pork trotters... I could eat a huge bowl of this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Ivy, sorry for not commenting for a while...been having technical issues. I have a high security system, and it is not letting me comment on 'high activity' blogs with lots of content, but I by-passed the security and tried a different way!
    I adore your comforting and delicious, healthy one-pot noodles dish with all the wonderful veggies, and the pork infused flavor! Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elisabeth, thumbs up to you and thanks for taking the trouble to visit me. Hugs and muaks :)

      Delete
  11. This looks delicious! Just had it at my sister's place last week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Ivy! Thank you so much for the mention! I must cook this beehoon again soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. My pleasure, Phong Hong. Yes,, I will never get tired of it; and if eat with cili padi, I can eat 3 bowls!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gosh, Ivy, how I would love to dive into that bowl of incredible goodness. I know I have never, ever had this meal before but I tell you, I sure would like to! Thank you so much for sharing, Ivy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louise, it's indeed very yummy. Hv a wonderful day ahead :)

      Delete
  15. Hi my dear, wah.. your comfort bee hoon sure look inviting and mouth watering. So much liaw inside.... Ok lah this one I'll take but one bowl kow liaw. I'm not much of a too kar fan, prefer lean meat only. I'm a fussy pot when come to food.. so hard to serve me. LOL

    Have a nice week ahead, catch up with you when I finish my task. Regards. *hug*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amelia, then, don't take the meat. Just the bee hoon itself is so flavourful. Eat with chili padi or sambal, I tell u, 1 bowl is not enough for you. Thanks dear and cheers :)

      Delete
  16. Hi Ivy, ho chiak but I usually discard the fats. Sometimes, I used the braised pai kuat instead of pig trotters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kimmy, we love it with lots of gravy. Have a nice day ahead :)

      Delete
  17. Oh Ivy, I have not had this rice vermicelli for so long...now seeing yours make ma want to eat...right now...
    Looks delicious...yum!
    Have a wonderful week my dear :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Juliana, I used to cook this on and off and would never get bored of it! Thanks Juliana and you too have a great day ahead :)

      Delete
  18. Hi Ivy,

    You are always fantastic in cooking nutritional good and homely food... This bee hoon looks good :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Ivy......
    Sorry that I were in a silence......Ur dish is nutritionally rich and feeling yumm........This one is new to me......I bookmarked :):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Remya, no need to apologise. I have been quite busy lately too and hardly visit any blog. You have a wonderful day ahead :)

      Delete

To receive new updates, do LIKE SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL AND HEALTHY LIVING FACEBOOK. Thanks for visiting my blog and have a nice day :)