Thursday 16 January 2014

Refreshing Chinese Pear and Aloe Vera with Eucheuma Seaweed

Are you looking for a simple yet refreshing, cooling and healthy desserts or drinks?  To some, edible bird's nest is the best choice but not everyone can afford or willing to spend on it.   Why don't you consider Eucheuma Seaweed  aka Sea Bird's Nest.  It's relatively cheap and affordable to all and has the same nutritional values as bird's nest.  You can easily get Eucheuma from any Chinese Medical shop.

I have previously posted a  healthy and refreshing dessert using Eucheuma Seaweed  or 珊 瑚 草/ 海 燕 窝 in Chinese.

Eucheuma is a type of seaweed that grows in different colors either green, purple or brown.
This seaweed is rich in enzyme nutrients, minerals, calcium, iron and jelly form proteins. It is especially good for vegetarian diet and daily fiber diet intake. It grows naturally and contains no artificial fertilizer or chemical.
How to clean/ prepare Eucheuma Seaweed:
1)  Dried Eucheuma has to be rinsed and washed 5 to 6 times. Then soaked for at least 5 hours.

2)  Remember to keep changing the water for at least 4 to 5 times. Take note that gradually, it turns transparent, soft and expands in size.

3) Lastly, rinse again with clean water and drain.  Store in a container and keep it in the refrigerator.  

4) Or, boil the rinsed Eucheuma with water (300gm Eucheuma with 1.5 litre water).  Keep stirring  until completely dissolved.  Allow it to cool before transferring it into a container.  Chill it in the fridge for it to set.  It stays good for 3 to 4 weeks.

5)  You can add this healthy Sea Bird's Nest Jelly to any of your favorite beverages or just mix it with water or fruit juice of your choice.

Kelp is another type of healthy and nutritious seaweed that I like to cook for my family.  For more info on the nutritional and its uses, do click at the following links.
Seaweed Chicken Soup




Refreshing Chinese Pear and Aloe Gel with Eucheuma

Ingredients : (to taste)
- 2 Chinese pears (peeled and cut into cubes)
- 1 cup of aloe vera gel (peeled and cut)
- 1 tbsp goji berries (washed)
- honeycomb sugar
- some pandan leaves (pandanus/screw pine)
- 4 bowls of hot water

Method :
1) Put everything into a double boiler and double boil for 30 minutes over high heat.
2)  Serve warm with a scoop of Eucheuma jelly (pls refer to the above on "How to clean/ prepare Eucheuma Seaweed").
Refreshing, cooling and rejuvenating
Easy and hassle free yet healthy dessert




To receive new updates, do LIKE me on FACEBOOK. Thanks! Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me comments.. I really appreciate all your visits and comments! Have a nice day :)

31 comments:

  1. I shall find out from the Chinese medical hall if they have the seaweed. I only know of the white fungus, kei chi, dried longan and dates so far. I grow aloe vera in my garden. Can I use it for the soup? Definitely its refreshing and I am more inclined for Chinese food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so mouth watering. Sure sedap. I want some. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nava, if you can't get it from the Chinese Medical hall, try any organic shop. Yes, you can use it in soup or dessert. You can either add the Eucheuma jelly or cleaned ones at the last stage of the cooking process. Hope to like this healthy sea bird's nest. Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Amy. Yes, it's very delicious and healthy too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your food is always so interesting--I just wish I were somewhere I could easily get a taste!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your compliments, Inger. I wish you were here too so I can cook extra for you too :)

      Delete
  6. Wow! That's really impressive. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the refreshing dessert, wish I could have a bowl of it right away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mich, yes, this dessert is very refreshing :) Thanks for dropping by. Do have a great week ahead

      Delete
  8. Hi Ivy,

    I like aloe vera ,pear soup, but eucheuma seaweed sound alien to me. Hopefully I can get this type of seaweed from the medical hall at my area. Eager to try out your version ..... yummy yummy.

    Regards
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Amy, glad when I was a bachelor you still in Standard 5, I think....ha ha, or else meet someone like you with your culinary expertise and gourmet cooking, and this dishes you put up here, its habis cherita!
    Love your this dish though regret have never had it before. Looks really nice, and I think a second helping might be in order.
    Can see you have a Black belt in desserts too. Outstanding!
    I love kelp, and believe lots of kelp are exported from Canada.

    Love your selections of songs. Can see you the sentimental type....Good for you, Ivy.
    You stay young, stay beautiful and keep a song in your heart.
    Best regards.
    Lee.
    ps, you speak Mandarin? Dance the Tango?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shane, wow.... never know I have Black Belt in my cooking, hahaha. Thanks so much for your sky high compliments. Yes, I like kelp too and we have been eating kelp since young. Very healthy and nutritious too. Well, when you balik kampung, will cook this dessert for you.

      Fyi, I love sentimental songs. When I was young I only listened to English and Malay songs. Then lately for the past 5 years, I seem to like Chinese songs especially the Chinese oldies. I do speak Mandarin too. You wanna tango with me? Let's tango...
      Regards.

      Delete
  10. I agree with Inger, Ivy. You have some very interesting recipes. I have heard of kelp and actually made soup with it long ago. You are so full of valuable information. Thank you so very much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love to visit your blog because I find always very interesting health information and great recipes.
    Thanks, Ivy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi my dear, very informative posting. I haven't try this dessert, you know me anything with seaweed I very takut want to eat cos of the pungent smell. The kelp and Encheuma got pungent smell or not? LOL

    But your dessert sure look refreshing and healthy. But seaweed can main our youth.. one fine day I shall give it a try. Oppss, I haven't take up the courage to cook the seaweed soup, hahaha.... Still thinking hard when....

    Have a nice day, regards.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Cquek. You have a nice week ahead :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Cheryl, Thanks for dropping by. Yes, you can try to get Eucheuma seaweed from the local medical hall or organic shop. Very refreshing and yummy too. Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Louise. You are always generous with your compliments. It's my pleasure, Louise. You have a great week ahead :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Daniela, glad that you like my blog. Still trying to improvise on it. You have a wonderful week ahead :) Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amelia dear, yes, frankly speaking, these 2 types of seaweed have strong fishy smell. As such, you need to really wash and clean it thoroughly. However, kelp is not as bad as Eucheuma! So, go ahead and cook kelp soup. Add lots of ginger and lemongrass to mask the smell and I am sure just one spoon itself will see you roll your eyes and asking for more. It very healthy and nutritious. I have been eating kelp since young. So now you know what is my anti-ageing secrets?? Wahahaha...
    Warmest regards

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a nice post Ivy, I am sure learning a lot by reading your posts....the desserts look very refreshing.
    Thanks for the recipe my dear and hope you are having a wonderful week :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Juliana, thanks so much for your sweet compliments. It's my pleasure, dear. Glad that you like it. Here's wishing you and your family GONG XI FATT CHAI!!

      Delete
  19. Hi Ivy. longing to hv a bowl of refreshing desserts on this hot Saturday afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello Ivy, what a beautiful blog you have! Thank you for stopping by my blog so I could find yours! I've see eucheuma seaweed before but I have never used it. I like how it looks after cleaning and I believe it must taste good with the Chinese pear and aloe as well. This is something I'd love to try. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Christine, would love to cook for you one day!! You have a nice week ahead and Gong Xi Fatt Chai!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Yi, thanks so much for visiting my humble blog. Eucheuma itself is tasteless and that's why we have to pair with other ingredients. Yes, this dessert is very refreshing and healthy too. Glad that you like it. You have a wonderful week ahead :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Kong Hei Fatt Choy!
    I still have some euchema seaweed, looks like a good recipe to try though I don't like to boil till it's dissolved, too slimy for me. Where do you buy kelp? is it the same with kombu?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kong Hei Fatt Choy to you too, Shannon! If I am not wrong, sea kelp is the same as kombu as they do look alike. I used to buy mine form Sitiawan, Perak , my hometown. I can't get it in KL.

      Delete
  24. Really bird nest is important nutrient for health.
    Nice post.
    Valuable information is here.
    Thanks for sharing with us.

    Health benefits of bird nest

    ReplyDelete

To receive new updates, do LIKE SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL AND HEALTHY LIVING FACEBOOK. Thanks for visiting my blog and have a nice day :)