I adapted this simple homemade 脆皮烧肉 from Agnes Chang's Cookbook 'Let's Eat'. However, instead of using oven for roasting, I used my treasured Happy Call Pan. No regrets and I strongly recommend you to use HPC if you have one at home.
Crispy Roast Pork Belly 脆皮烧肉
Marinade adapted from Let's Eat pg 24 (my modification in red)
- 1.3kg (600gm) pork belly with skin (whole block)
- 1 tsp cooking oil
- 3pcs (1/2 pc) fermented bean curd (nam yee) - mashed
- 1 tsp (2 tsp) five spice powder
- 2 tbsp chopped garlic (1 tsp garlic powder)
- 2 tbsp chopped shallots (I omitted)
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp (1 tbsp) vinegar (for rubbing the skin)
- 3 tbsp (1 tsp) salt for rubbing the skin
1) Wipe skin with kitchen towel to remove any water. Then, using a sharp pin holder or knife, poke the skin all over as shown above.
2) Rub vinegar all over the skin and followed by salt.
3) Then, rub marinade all over the meat.
4) Leave the marinated meat in a covered container overnight in the refrigerator.
5) Remove marinated meat from the refrigerator. Sprinkle and rub some five spice powder onto the meat. I prefer extra five spice powder for that extra ommph flavor!
5) Heat 1 tsp cooking oil in your HPC. Place marinated pork belly on the HPC with the skin side up. Close the lid and cook over medium heat until cooked. Do the same to the skin and all four sides of the meat.
6) Remove from HPC and leave it aside to cool completely.
7) Using a sharp knife, chop it into your preferred serving size.
The meat is tender and juicy
and the skin is crispy and crunchy
Give this a try and you will be surprised that your homemade roast pork belly is in fact better than those store bought ones.
Happy Trying and hope you have an enjoyable week :)
To receive new updates, do LIKE SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL AND HEALTHY LIVING on FACEBOOK. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me comments. I really appreciate all your visits and comments! Have a nice day :)