Here's my 1st post for 2015 and I hope you all like this simple but very flavorful Asian braised pork belly with pumpkin. If you wish to know the health benefits of pumpkin, click the pic below for more info.
Flavorful Braised Pork Belly with Pumpkin
- 1 strip of pork belly (blanched and cut into bite size)
- 1 bowl of cubed pumpkin (with the skin intact)
- 1 thumb sized ginger (crushed)
- 1 tbsp fermented black beans (tau si)
- soy sauce to taste
- Cooking oil
1) Heat some oil in a pan or wok.
2) Saute ginger and fermented black beans until aromatic.
3) Add cubed pork belly and stir fry for awhile. Mix well.
4) Add water until it covers the meat.
5) Cover and let it boil at high heat for 5 minutes. Then lower the heat and simmer until the meat is cooked and tender. This takes about 35 to 45 minutes depending on the type of pot used. I used AMC medium pot. Add more water if you prefer more gravy.
6) When the the meat is cooked and gravy thickened, add cubed pumpkin.
7) Cover and continue to cook until the pumpkin is cooked and soft. This takes about 5 to 8 minutes. Add soy sauce to taste. Stir and mix well.
8) Serve hot with steamed rice.
A very simple yet flavorful dish
You can substitute pork belly with chicken too.
A homey dish which our family have never get tired of it since our grandma days.
Note : No salt is added as the fermented black beans itself is already salty.
To receive new updates, do LIKE SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL AND HEALTHY LIVING on FACEBOOK. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me comments. I really appreciate all your visits and comments! Have a nice day :)