Friday 24 June 2016

Parents who have tough time trying to coax their kids to eat fish, should try this simple and nutritious smelt which I think most kids would happily eat it without being asked

Shishamo Capelin or Caplin is a small forage fish of the smelt family found in the Atlantic and Arctic oceans. It is a common fish in Japanese cuisine. It's usually grilled or fried whole and served with its roe intact. This Japanese popular delicacy and appetizer can be found on the menu of izakaya (tapas) style Japanese restaurants.
Do not be fooled and underestimate this tiny Shishamo Caplin fish. 
It is a good source of protein and calcium. It is consumed for its abundant roe and the entire fish can be eaten from head to tail! It has become one of the must-haves when dining in Japanese restaurants. 
Children who do not like fish can start them with Shishamo Capelin. It is a good source of protein and calcium, keeping meals well balanced. Besides, it's very delicious and addictive too!

Pan Fried Shishamo Caplin (Japanese smelt) served with Grated Daikon
Ingredients :
- 1 pack of Shishamo (8 Shishamo)- cleaned and lightly marinated with a dash of seasalt
- oil for pan fry
- 1 small daikon (peeled and grated)
(I actually grated 1 medium size as hubby likes raw grated daikon)

Seasoning : (to taste)
(mix all in a serving dish)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1tsp rice vinegar or Apple Cider vinegar (I used Japanese rice vinegar)
- 1tsp lemon juice

Method :
1) Heat oil in a non-stick pan and fry the small fish until both sides are golden brown.
2) Dish out and place the fish in a serving dish with the mixed seasoning.
3) Serve it while still hot and crispy with grated daikon.
Eat the whole fish including the head and tail
Enjoy this yummy fish when it's still hot and crispy especially the head!!!
Have a great weekend ahead and cheers!!

Recipe source : Japan Gourmet





Sorry to inform that for the time being, I have disabled comment box as I won't be able to return visit to my fellow bloggers who are kind enough to drop me a line or two. The comment box will be enabled when I am not so tied up with my work schedule. However, you may contact me by leaving your message or comment at SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL AND HEALTHY LIVING FACEBOOK. My sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused. Thanks for visiting my blog and have a nice day :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment

To receive new updates, do LIKE SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL AND HEALTHY LIVING FACEBOOK. Thanks for visiting my blog and have a nice day :)