Tuesday 30 October 2012

Braised Chicken with Eggs (Kay Hong Minus the Pork Belly)

The first time when I saw Phong Hong's post on Kay Hong (Terengganu Braised Chicken) at Terengganu Food Fest 2012 , I told myself I must try this dish. Too bad, I only tried last week and unfortunately without the pork belly as I have forgotten that day happened to be 'No Pork' day at the wet market. So, I just made do with just the chicken. On the other hand, I think this dish is also suitable for those who don't take pork.

I adapted this recipe from Phong Hong and at the same time from Daphne Hwee Lan Chua with some slight modification.

Ingredients :

 

 
- 1 whole chicken (cut into bite sized pieces)
- 10 hardboiled eggs (shelled)
- 10 shallots (finely sliced)
- 5 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2tbs preserved bean paste (tau cheong) to taste

- dark soya sauce (to taste)
- Palm sugar (gula Melaka) to taste

- Salt (to taste)
- Oil
- Water (enough to cover the chicken. Add more if you like to have extra gravy)

Method :


1) Heat oil in a wok or pot and fry the shallots until half brown. Then add in minced garlic. Fry until aromatic
2) Then, add tau cheong. Keep stirring over low-medium fire until fragrant.

3) Add in gula Melaka. Keep stirring until all the gula melaka is melted and started to caramelize.

4) Add the chicken and dark soya sauce. Stir well.

5) Add water, salt and hard boiled eggs.
6) Cover and bring to a boil. Simmer until the chicken is cooked and tender.
 
I have no regrets to cook this dish even though it is without the pork belly as it is indeed very delicious. I believe with the pork belly, it will be even better. Will cook it again but this time it will be with the pork belly.

Cook extra so that you can keep it overnight as it tastes even better. Yummy yummy!!

Serve it with steamed rice.


For more and latest updates, pls follow my blog with bloglovin.  Simply click and follow :


No comments:

Post a Comment

To receive new updates, do LIKE SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL AND HEALTHY LIVING FACEBOOK. Thanks for visiting my blog and have a nice day :)