Tuesday 23 July 2013

Fragrant Eggplant Rice (using Toshiba Rice Cooker)

I bought some eggplants the other day but still wondering how to prepare it in a different way.  I used to either pan-fried or stir-fried (click at the links for the full recipes) it.  
I remember seeing eggplant rice in one of my collection of YumYum recipe books.  So, this recipe is from YumYum (41) page 73.  It's a very simple and homey dish.  We had it with Chinese Mustard Chicken Soup and a simple stir-fried baby bok choy.

Recipe source : YumYum 41, pg 73, with some minor modification
Ingredients :
1.5 cups of rice (I used brown rice)
- 2 medium-sized eggplants (washed and cut)
- 1 bowl pork belly (sliced)
- 1 tbsp dried shrimps (washed and finely chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (finely chopped) 

some oil (I used ghee)

Seasonings : (to taste)
- salt
- light soy sauce
- sweet caramel sauce (kicap manis)

Method :
1)  Cook rice in a rice cooker.


2)  Meanwhile, heat oil in a wok.  Saute garlic until fragrant.
3)  Then, add dried shrimps and stir fry until aromatic.
4)  Add in pork, eggplant and seasonings.  
5)  Stir fry until well  mixed.  Dish up and set aside.

6)  When the rice is almost cooked (before the beep sound), transfer the fried ingredients into rice.
7)  Close the lid and let it keep warm for about 1/2 hour.

8)  Stir and mix well.
9)  Close and continue to keep warm until it's ready to serve.
My hubby likes it with some chopped chilies + Chinese coriander + soy sauce

Do enjoy :)


I am linking this post to Cook-Your-Books # 2 organised by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours


I am also submitting this to Back 2 School Event by Kachuss Delights 


To receive new updates, do LIKE me on FACEBOOK. Thanks! http://www.bloglovin.com/en/blog/6015563 Follow this blog with bloglovin Follow on Bloglovin Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me comments.. I really appreciate all your visits and comments! Have a nice day :)

17 comments:

  1. Ivy, this eggplant rice sounds delicious! I love eggplants and I must try this recipe soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phong Hong, this is indeed very yummy :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Ivy,
    This is a delicious way of cooking eggplant! Makes a wonderful one-pot meal!
    Thank you for sharing with CYB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyce, yes very delicious. Give this a try. You will love it :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Ivy, this is something new to me. Never thought that eggplant can be cooked with rice. The sweetness of eggplant with the savoury rice and chillies, hmmm must be good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kimmy, this is indeed very delish. My kids asked me to cook again for them the next day and guess what? I cooked again! So senang for me, hassle free :)

      Delete
  4. Wow, eggplant rice? Your step-by-step is easy to follow and looks yummy!. This one must try !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Doris, easy to follow and yummy too. Have this when you want something simple and fuss free :)

      Delete
  5. ivy, akak mmg suka eggplant! dulu masa kecik2 popo selalu masak ni, guna ayam la, campur keladi sikit, masak dlm claypot...best! gambar tu sebiji macam nasi yg popo masak dulu...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear Queenie, nasi keladi mmg sedap. I pun dah lama tak makan. Rasa nak masak nasi keladi pulak.

      Delete
  6. It's eggplant season here & this recipe just the perfect recipe . I don't really know how to cook eggplants actually & I only cook them in curries. This recipe is simply yummy ! I must try this recipe for my family real soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kit, I like eggplants and usually use it for stir fry, pan fry or curries. This recipe is a bit different and after trying it, I have no regrets. My family likes it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm...mmm....I love eggplant but have never thought of making it this way. Sounds delicious to me. Slurppp...
    Hope you're going to have a great weekend.
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kristy, have a great weekend too and thanks for following my blog :)

      Delete
  9. Hi ivy,
    Love one pot meal!
    This egg plant rice sounds delish!
    Love your chili dip too:)
    mii

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Mui Mui, sometimes when I run out of idea what to cook or in a lazy mode, I would go for one pot meal. Easy and hassle free :0

      Delete
  10. nice and healthy!! thank u fr linking this to my event

    ReplyDelete

To receive new updates, do LIKE SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL AND HEALTHY LIVING FACEBOOK. Thanks for visiting my blog and have a nice day :)