Roselle is known as Hibiscus Sabdariffa and is a species of Hibiscus. It is known as the rosella or rosella fruit in Australia. It is asam belanda in Malaysia. In Chinese it is 洛神花 (Luo Shen Hua) .
Roselle is becoming increasingly popular as a health drink as it has
high content of Vitamin C and is said to contain 3 times more Vitamin C than blackcurrant and 9 times more than citrus fruit. It is also rich in anti-oxidant properties (anthocyanins).
Fresh roselle has been found to contain vitamin D, vitamin B1, vitamin B2, and vitamin B2 Complex, Vitamin A, Niacin and Calcium.
Known benefits of drinking roselle juice:
- decreases inflammation of kidney and urinary tract.
- good for arteriosclerosis and reduce blood
- normalize blood pressure.
- stimulate internal peristalsis.
- relief cough and fever.
- for soft and smooth skin.
- 3 big bowls of fresh roselle (separate the red fleshy calyx from the central seedpod, washed)
- 3 1/2 cups of granulated sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- few pandan (screwpine) leaves
- 1 cup of water
1) Put fresh roselle and water into a blender and blend it.
2) Then, transfer to a medium sized pot.
3) Add sugar and cinnamon stick.
4) Cook at medium low heat. Stir occasionally.
5) Add pandan leaves when half way through.
6) Keep stirring until it starts to thicken. Remove pandan leaves.
7) Let it cool before transfer to an airtight container. Refrigerate.
Enjoy your healthy Homemade Roselle Jam with bread or cream crackers. I also mix 1 or 2 spoons into my fresh lemon drinks! Very refreshing.... :)