Monday 11 November 2013

Home Cooked Bak-Kut-Teh/Herbal Pork Ribs Soup (肉骨茶)

Home cooked or brewed bak-kut-teh is very easy and simple to prepare.  If you do not like to take the trouble to get the full prescription of the herbs from the Chinese Medical shop, there are pre-packed  bak-kut-teh herbs and spices available too.  
I never stick to a particular brand of pre-packed bak-kut-teh and would try whichever that catch my attention during our casual shopping.  Besides, I also like to stock up a few pre-packed of bak-kut-teh and it comes in handy when I run out of ideas what soup to cook for my family.   Sun Kee pre-packed is also one of our favorites.
Previously, when cooking bak-kut-teh using pre-packed herbs and spices, I just 'dumped'  the sachets into the pot without any additional herbs or spices.  However, when I came across Boon's Little Kitchen Cookbook, I learned something new!  I added pieces of dang gui (Radix Angelica) and wow... the soup definitely tastes so much better as dang gui itself  is sweet, pungent and bitter in taste.  One of the many advantages of dang gui is it benefits the digestive system by maintaining proper metabolism and improved immune functioning. By boosting immunity, the herb also helps to protect our body from various diseases and infections. However, men, be cautioned! Dang gui can be very 'heaty' for some men and have it moderately as 'overdosed' of dang gui will see you having fever and even nose bleeding!
(Recipe according to Boon's Little Kitchen Cookbook page 95, with minor modifications in red)
Ingredients (A) : 
-1kg shin (I omitted this)
- 2 spare ribs (1kg, blanched)
- 1 pc pork belly (I omitted)
Ingredients  (B) :
- 6 big bulbs smoked garlic (unpeeled)
- 2 sachets pre-packed bak-kut-teh
- 10gm sweet dang gui head (I used 4 thin slices only)
- 3 litres water
Seasonings : (to taste)
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 60g rock sugar (I omitted)
- 1 tsp salt
Method :
1)  Bring water to a boil.  Add in ingredients (A) and (B). 
2)  Bring it to another boil. Lower heat and cook for 45 minutes.
3)  Add in seasonings and bring to a rapid boil.
4)  Turn to low heat and simmer for another 45 minutes.
5)  Serve hot with steamed rice.
Simple and nutritious soup

I'm sharing this post with : Cook-Your-Books #6 hosted by Kitchen Flavours


To receive new updates, do LIKE me on FACEBOOK. Thanks!

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me comments.. I really appreciate all your visits and comments! Have a nice day :)

38 comments:

  1. Don't think I've seen this brand of BKT in Aeon supermarket here. I've tried with A1 and it's fine to me. Yours look yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheah, I hv tried A1 before and it's very good too. I got this brand from the Chinese Medical Shop. Thanks and cheers :)

      Delete
  2. Been a long time since I eat and made bkt. At home is usually with chicken. I am just like you, have tried different brands and the owner of the medical hall will gladly suggest to me. Will try your tempting version for I have never added rock sugar into the broth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nava. Add some dang gui and the soup is super yummy :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Ivy,
    I can almost smell the aroma of your BKT! I just love eating BKT. And like Cheah, I usually use A1 brand, recently Yen from Eat Your Heart Out recommends Eu Yang Sang brand, looks like this is another one for me to try.
    Thanks for sharing with CYB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joyce, I have tried A1 brand before too. This brand is also good and also recommended by the Chinese Medical shop's boss.

      Delete
  4. Hi Ivy , I will have to try this recipe , looks delicious , thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Nee and it's my pleasure. Do have a wonderful week ahead :)

      Delete
  5. Hi Ivy, you're right. Adding dang qui makes a good difference. My neighbour taught me to add some teen chat and oyster sauce. Wow! Really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimmy, oh... will take note to add teen chat for next bak-kut-teh. Thanks Kimmy :)

      Delete
  6. Hi Ivy, your BKT looks yummy. When my mum makes it, she likes to add in extra dang gui too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yen, yes, adding dang gui definitely makes the soup extra yummylicious and nutritious too. Have a great week ahead :)

      Delete
  7. Wow, this soup looks so tasty and such a comfort dish, especially in cold weather.
    Have a great week Ivy, and yes, I am back :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Juliana. Great to hear that finally you are back!! Have a wonderful week ahead :)

      Delete
  8. Hi Ivy, I am now craving for BKT! You are right, adding a few slices of dang gui makes a world of difference. The smell is especially so fragrant and so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phong Hong, yes, BKT with dang gui is indeed awesome! Have a great week ahead :)

      Delete
  9. I can smell your aromatic bak kue teh from across the screen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mich and have a great week ahead :)

      Delete
  10. The broth alone looks delicious. Great looking soup!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks so delicious and warming--I wish I had some now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Inger and have a wonderful day ahead :)

      Delete
  12. Hi Ivy, I love BKT too and will add dang gui next time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such an interesting recipe, tasty and loaded with healthy ingredients.
    Thanks so much for sharing, Ivy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Daniela and have a wonderful day :)

      Delete
  14. I'd love to try this soup, Ivy. Bring some over right away!!! I don't think I would find some of those ingredients in my store here but that's too bad because this soup sounds amazing. I think I'll make a list and bring it with me where ever I go, lol...

    Thank you so much for sharing, Ivy...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, Ivy, I almost forgot, thank you so much for going back to the "old" way. I think it's going to work so much better this way:) Thank YOU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louise, glad that you like this Bak-kut-teh soup. You can try to get it from the Chinese Herbal Medicinal shop at China Town. It's pretty easy to prepare. Moreover, very healthy, nutritious and warming especially during cold weather. Have a nice weekend ahead :)

      Delete
  16. Hi dearest..... aiyah.. you sure say I picky eater again. hahaha.... eeeerrrrrrr BKT not my kind of food. This dish on my dining table, once a year only. LOL
    See how teruk am I... anything with pungent smell I will not touch or eat. You want to invite me makan at your place, very jiat lat cos you got to crack your head don't know what to cook for me. But I like salted egg and salted fish, kow tim liaw. hehehe

    Anyway your BKT look good, nice pictures. Really lah, no bluff you one....

    Have a lovely weekend, hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amelia dear, no problem for me. I know what to cook for you; plain porridge with salted egg and salted fish. Kau tim!!!! No headache and cheap cheap too... Can cook this for you 365 days without any complain!

    ReplyDelete
  18. All Chinese love to eat Bak Kut Teh. I just love it soaking the fried fritters (yow chow kui) into the soup. I can eat 1 1/2 bowls of rice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy, I just love the soup and can have it alone with fried fritters too. Do enjoy your weekend :)

      Delete
  19. Replies
    1. Thanks Gloria and you have a great day ahead.

      Delete
  20. This is great article
    Thank you for the recipe
    I will try to cook

    ReplyDelete

To receive new updates, do LIKE SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL AND HEALTHY LIVING FACEBOOK. Thanks for visiting my blog and have a nice day :)