Thursday 15 August 2013

Sitiawan Fuzhou Egg Noodles (Long Yan 蛋燕)

Has anyone tried Fuzhou egg noodles which is also called Fuzhou flat flour noodles (pan mien) from Ayer Tawar or Sitiawan in Perak? This is a traditional dish especially for folks in my hometown, Ayer Tawar.  My family members love this.  I remember the very first time when I cooked this for my own family (that was few years back), my girls and hubby love it so much. 
The batter can be varied according to your preference. I have seen others added rice flour and 5 to 6 eggs for the batter. I have tried the batter with added rice flour and 3 eggs but I just don't like the texture. Later, I got this recipe from a childhood friend and I just followed the measurement she gave me. Eh... I like it. Since then, I stick to this recipe. You can be flexible with the batter depending on your taste.
PART I :
Ingredients for Egg Noodles (batter) :
- 500g tapioca flour
- 190g plain flour 
- 710ml water
- 1 egg (add extra eggs if you want it to be more springy)
(if you do not like to add any egg, the water should be 750ml.  1 egg->reduce 40ml water)

 Method :
1)  Put all the batter ingredients into a big bowl.  Stir and mix well until the batter is smooth.

2)  Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan or wok.  Pour 1 ladle of batter into the wok and fry until both sides are cooked.  Repeat the whole process for the remaining batter.
3) It's not necessary to add oil to the pan anymore as the pancake will not stick to the pan or if you are using non-stick pan.  I used AMC pan and I only used 2 times of oil for the whole batch process.
4)  Roll the pancake individually and use scissors to cut it.  Place the freshly cut egg noodles into a serving bowl and add your choice of soup into it.

5)  The balance of egg noodles can be stored in the fridge or frozen for future use.  However, for refrigerated egg noodles, you need to add it into the soup to be cooked for a while before serving.
PART II : (you can use any of your preferred soup but I prefer anchovies/ikan bilis stock)

Ingredients for soup : (individual's preferences)
- prawns (shelled and marinated with salt)
- fish balls
- shredded mushrooms
- shredded black fungus/woodear
- shredded chicken meat (I used leftover from the previous evening doubled boiled ginseng chicken soup; just want to be thrifty, hehehe)
- fresh vegetables 
- anchovies/ikan bilis stock
- some chopped garlic
- cooking oil
Seasonings : (to taste)
- salt
- soy sauce
- a dash of pepper
Method :
1)  Heat oil in a wok or pot and saute garlic until fragrant.  Add all the ingredients except fish balls and vegetables.  Stir fry until aromatic and add anchovies stock.
2)  Cover and bring it to a boil.
3)  Add fish balls and vegetables and cook until vegetables and fish balls are cooked.
4)  Add seasonings and ladle the soup into a serving bowl filled with freshly cut egg noodles.
Make extra pancakes/egg noodles and refrigerate it.  You can have it anytime even for breakfast.
Isn't this homemade noodles anytime healthier than the commercial instant noodles???

I am submitting this post to Malaysian Food Fest Perak month hosted by WendyinKK of Table for Two….or more

I am also submitting this to the Little Thumbs Up "Egg" event organized by Bake for Happy Kids, my little favourite DIY and hosted by Baby Sumo of Eat Your Heart Out.

To receive new updates, do LIKE me on FACEBOOK. Thanks!
http://www.bloglovin.com/en/blog/6015563 Follow this blog with bloglovin Follow on Bloglovin Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me comments.. I really appreciate all your visits and comments! Have a nice day :)

22 comments:

  1. Ivy, you make your own noodles! Love your noodle soup. With freshly made noodles it must be super delicious. Definitely healthier than commercial noodles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phong Hong, you can make too. Just like pan mein, but using batter.

      Delete
  2. Haven't try this before but this is similar to "pan mee" but pan mee never use tapioca flour. Your noodles looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Jozelyn, similar to pan mee, but I find that this is easier. For pan mee, I'm lazy to knead the dough, hehehe...

      Delete
  3. Ivy,
    The rolled up noodles look like chee cheong fun but when you added soup, looks like kuay tiow. First photo look so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doris, give this a try and you will love it. The batter proportion can be varied depending on your taste and preferred texture. Just be creative with the batter and the soup :)

      Delete
  4. Learning something new from you, making noodles with pancake method. Homemade definitely is good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vivian, yes, it's pancake noodles - Sitiawan Fuzhou style :)

      Delete
  5. Hi Ivy, looking at the photo it really looks like the pan mee (mee hoon kueh) we get over here in KL. But I see u use tapioca starch too, we only use plain flour for ours here. Another unique recipe from you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yem yes it's different from the normal pan mee. This is silky smooth, soft and a bit springy (add extra egg if you like it more springy).

      Delete
  6. Hi Ivy , never made homemade noodles but this is a must try , they looks so yummy . Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nee, this is a different version of noodles; simple and yummy. You can give it a try too :)

      Delete
  7. Oh my, I must try this, never eat the Fuzhou style pan mee before...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi LEY, it's easy to prepare. Do let me know the outcome, Thanks :)

      Delete
  8. Will definitely try to make it. Maybe I will add Fuzhou Fish Ball which is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, I like it with Fuzhow fish balls too but no time to make it and can't find it in KL. Whenever I go back to Ayer Tawar, I must have it with Fuzhou fish balls :)

      Delete
  9. Another dish I am not familiar with but the ingredients are somewhat the same like for pan mee. Besides rice, noodles rocks my life. Nice and interesting flavors incorporated in this soupy noodles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nava, this is also a different version of pan mee but fuzhou or foochow style.

      Delete
  10. Hi Ivy,

    I love ban mien and your Fuzhou style ban mien look very interesting to cook and very delicious to eat.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete

To receive new updates, do LIKE SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL AND HEALTHY LIVING FACEBOOK. Thanks for visiting my blog and have a nice day :)