Wednesday 24 July 2013

Fish Fillet in Sour Orange Gravy

 
Earlier, I had posted Sweet Fragrant Rosemary Salmon and I used orange juice for the gravy.  Surprisingly it was very delish.  My kids complained that they couldn't really see the gravy as it had all dried up.  I still remember I used 3 oranges for the juice as the oranges were quite small.  

So, this time I use orange juice for fish fillet as my girls have been pestering me to cook fish with orange juice gravy and they specifically requested for more gravy!  Instead of using salmon, I used treadfin fillet (ikan kurau). Coincidentally, I spotted this recipe from YumYum 44, page 9!  
Look at the gravy! Tempting isn't it?  It was all gone in seconds! If you prefer lesser gravy or a more crystallized gravy, reduce the orange juice and simmer the gravy until it's almost dried or crystallized, just as I did it in my previous post on Sweet Fragrant Rosemary Salmon.

Recipe sourced from YumYum 44, page 9.

Ingredients :
- 2 pieces of ikan kurau fillet (marinated with salt)
- few slices of ginger
- 2 oranges (take the juice and the pulp)
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 1 tbsp shredded lemon rind
- oil for frying

Seasonings : (to taste)
- salt
- 2 tbsp sugar

Method :
1)  Heat oil in a wok and deep fry fish until golden brown on both sides.  Dish up and set aside.
2)  Leave 1 tbsp of oil in the wok.  Saute ginger until fragrant.
3)  Then add in orange juice, lemon juice, seasonings and bring to boil.
4)  Lower the heat and add in the fried fish and shredded lemon rind.
5)  Simmer for 10 minutes or until the gravy is thickened or crystallized, depending on your preference.
6)  Serve with steamed rice.
The tangy sweet sourish gravy is very appetizing and yummy :)
Do adjust the flavour and thickness of the gravy according to your taste.
Most kids love this gravy.  Do give this a try :)

I am linking this post to Cook-Your-Books # 2 organised by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours.

I'm also linking this post to Little Thumbs Up organised by Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids and Doreen of My Little Favourite DIY and hosted by Alvin of Chef and Sommelier.


To receive new updates, do LIKE me on FACEBOOK. Thanks! http://www.bloglovin.com/en/blog/6015563 Follow this blog with bloglovin Follow on Bloglovin Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me comments.. I really appreciate all your visits and comments! Have a nice day :)

29 comments:

  1. Ivy, it is near lunch time and your fish make me hungry liao! Good lah, I got a few oranges in the fridge. I can try this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phong Hong, quick, go and grab your lunch! Can substitute it with chicken and then your lemon or orange chicken is ready for you :)

      Delete
  2. Ivy, this is so delicious. i think only with the gravy can eat a big bowl rice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Xing Hui, yes, the gravy itself is already so appetizing. Good for kids who have low appetite :)

      Delete
  3. Ivy, Looks very appetising. I just bought some oranges. Maybe I 'll try it out this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Doris. very appetizing. My girls asked me to cook again. I will substitute it with chicken. I think will be nice to :)

      Delete
  4. HI Ivy, What a mouthwatering post! The gravy is making me drool ! I've got to try this sedaplicious recipe ASAP. I think I have to cook more rice too coz my boys love dishes full with gravy! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kit, yes, the gravy itself is already sedaplicious and most kids love this type of tangy sweet sourish gravy.

      Delete
  5. Ivy , this looks so yummy , I'll try it first with fish and the next with the chicken and a big pot of rice . Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nee, next week I am trying it with chicken too :)

      Delete
  6. I just made chicken with orange gravy last night and it didn't look nearly as good as yours, Ivy. My gravy was kind of watery. Perhaps I need to simmer it longer next time. I'll try your way next!

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louise, yes, simmer it longer in order to crystallize the grave or add more sugar if the sauce is too sour.

      Delete
  7. Hi Ivy,
    Looks delish! My kids would love this type of dish, especially my son, he loves gravies just like the big kid, my hubby!
    Thank you for sharing with CYB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyce, the gravy itself is indeed very delish. Glad that you all like it :)

      Delete
  8. Hi Ivy! Using fruits in such recipes adds a sweet touch and balances the savoury dishes. I like this dish! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alvin, glad that you like it too :)

      Delete
  9. Hi Ivy,

    Fish cooked in orange juice... the thought of this tangy dish got me salivating :p

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zoe, in fact we prefer the gravy to the fish, hahaha... :)

      Delete
  10. Its so inviting. The oranges are a good substitute to the usual of lemon juice. The crispy fried fish with the sauce is very uplifting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Nava and have a great weekend with your loved ones :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember I cooked pork chop in orange juice. Next time I'll definitely try with fish... looks very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love to try out this recipe one of these day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My family will certainly enjoy this dish..... haven't tried making sauce with orange juice before.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm sure my family will enjoy this dish. Haven't tried making sauce with orange juice before. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Ivy,
    Fish in orange gravy/sauce...sound so appetitzing!!!
    My kids will love this very much.
    Thank fur sharing this to LTU:)
    mui

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mui Mui, cook this for your kids. They will love it, just like my girls too :)

      Delete

To receive new updates, do LIKE SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL AND HEALTHY LIVING FACEBOOK. Thanks for visiting my blog and have a nice day :)