Thursday 20 June 2013

Hot and Spicy Chicken

This is not the first time I cooked this dish.  However, this time instead of using dried chilies, I used  homemade chili paste.  Guess what?  My children like it and in fact it's better than using dried chilies.  Well, I am going to use chili paste whenever I cook this hot and spicy chicken again.  Besides, using homemade chili paste is also suitable for kids learning or can't take too spicy food.  This recipe is actually adapted from YumYum No. 55, page 15 with minor changes.  I added extra lemongrass as I love lemongrass and I used chili paste instead of dried chilies.
Ingredients :

- 1/2 chicken (cut into bite sized)
- 6 lemongrass (crushed)
- 2 tbsp homemade chili paste (click the link for the recipe)
- 1 big onion (cut)
- 1 tomato (cut)
- 6 cherry tomatoes (halved)
 - water 

Seasonings : (to taste)
- soy sauce
- salt
- sugar

Method :
1)  Heat up oil.  Saute onions, lemongrass and chili paste until fragrant.  Then, add tomatoes and chicken. Stir and mix well.
2)  Add seasonings and water.
3)  Cover and continue to cook for about 20 minutes or until chicken is soft and the gravy is reduced to half.  The gravy is great.  So, if you like gravy, add more water.
4)  Dish up and serve.
You can adjust the spiciness according to your taste.
I am linking this to Cook Your Books #1 organised by Kitchen Flavours.

Follow this blog with bloglovin Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me comments.. I really appreciate all your visits and comments! Have a nice day :)

10 comments:

  1. Hi Ivy,
    Wow, this dish looks so delicious! Perfect with rice! Looks very appetizing and fragrant with the lemongrass!
    Thank you for linking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joyce :) Hope to link up more posts for your event.

      Delete
  2. looks great! i will mop my rice with all of its gravy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lena. FYI, we indeed mopped all the gravy! :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Ivy!

    Just dropped by from Joyce's Cook Your Books and boy oh boy am I glad I did! Your Hot and Spicy Chicken is just to my liking. I have grown very fond of lemongrass lately and as you say, homemade chili paste is a wonderful addition.

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louise,
      Thanks and nice to know you. Have a nice weekend :)

      Delete
    2. Hi Ivy!

      So glad you are going to join us for the Picnic Game this year. It is so much fun! I can't wait to see how you fill your basket with the letter T Thank you so much for playing. If you have any questions at all, please feel free to email me at acalenda [at] gmail [dot] com.

      Delete
    3. Good morning Louise, Thanks for giving me the letter T! I know I will enjoy the picnic game as it encourages me to try new recipes. Do enjoy your weekend!

      Delete
  4. Hello my dear Ivy...
    wow...boleh dapat bau lemongrass tu from here! akak suka masak ayam with extra lemon grass, yours just suit to my liking! salute to your children, pandai makan spicy food, no wonder la mummy rajin masak hehe...

    this kind of recipe, akak boleh sapu habis the gravy, macam minum soup! sure berpeluh-peluh!
    thanks for sharing ya dear...
    have a wondeful weekend to you and all at home ya!
    ooops ivy! masih ada WV?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy morning dear Queenie,
      Memang, extra serai + extra nasi = badan badak! hahaha... I am cooking again today for a pot-luck gathering and I hope it will be well received by the others.
      You know, tanpa WV, ada banyak hantu-hantu yang tak diundang masuk dan buat hal-hal yg tak senonoh. Sebab tu I set WV. But now, I cuba without WV tapi dengan moderation. See if ada hantu boleh masuk tak...
      Do enjoy your weekend with your loved ones :)

      Delete

To receive new updates, do LIKE SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL AND HEALTHY LIVING FACEBOOK. Thanks for visiting my blog and have a nice day :)