Chayote shoots and fruits are believed to have diuretic, cardiovascular and anti-inflammatory properties. It's also said that tea made from the leaves has been used in the treatment of arteriosclerosis and hypertension, and to dissolve kidney stones.
My family eat chayote and its shoots from time to time. Chayote shoots also known as 龍鬚菜 in Chinese and it means dragon's beard or dragon's whiskers.
It's very delicious even with just simple stir fried. I usually stir fried it with chili paste, sambal belacan and at times just a simple stir fried with dried shrimps or anchovies. It's very yummy and my children who don't really fancy vegetables, love it. Besides, it's very healthy and delicious too.
- 1 bunch of chayote shoots (cut according to your desired length)
- 1 tbsp of dried shrimps (washed)
- 1 red chili (sliced)
- 3 cloves garlic (crushed)
-salt (to taste)
1) Heat oil in a wok and saute garlic and dried shrimps until aromatic.
2) Add chayote shoots and stir fry until cook. Add water if too dry.
3) Dish up and serve.
This simple stir fried is so healthy and nutritious
Yummy and healthy for the whole family :)
To receive new updates, do LIKE me on FACEBOOK. Thanks!