Thursday 22 August 2013

Sweet Fragrant Mint Omelette (Meatless Recipe)

As I was flipping through my old collection of recipe magazines (which have been collecting dust, hehehe...), I happened to see a very simple omelette using mint leaves.  I have never tried mint omelette and was telling myself why not give this a try as mint is a very healthy herb and moreover I have homegrown mint leaves.
This recipe is adapted from Y3K (33) pg 9 with some modifications.
As mentioned in the Y3K, mint leaves have medicinal properties especially for those who are prone to have 'windy stomach'.  However, too much mint leaves may cause your dish to taste bitter.  So, don't be 'greedy' ok?
My version or amendments are in red.  Adjust or add any ingredients according to your taste or preference.

Ingredients :
- 50g mint leaves/daun pudina (I used a handful)
- 2 eggs (6 eggs, beaten)
- 1 tomato (cubed)
- 3 fresh Swiss button mushrooms (sliced)
- some oil
Seasonings : (to taste)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- some soy sauce

Method :
1)  Mix all the ingredients together except soy sauce.
2)  Heat some oil in a wok and pour in the egg mixture.
3)  Flip over when the omelette has set.
4)  Fry until both sides are golden brown.  Turn off the heat.
5)  Drizzle some soy sauce to taste.  Stir and mix well. 
Serve.
My children don't like mint leaves but surprisingly they love this mint omelette!  They are asking me to cook this omelette again!!!
Isn't this a good idea to get your children to start eating mint leaves????


I am submitting this to the Little Thumbs Up "Egg" event organized by Bake for Happy Kids, my little favourite DIY and hosted by Baby Sumo of Eat Your Heart Out.

This post is also linked to Cook-Your-Books #3 hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours.

I'm also linking this post to September 2013 Cooking With Herbs Blog Challenge hosted by Lavender and Lovage.


To receive new updates, do LIKE me on FACEBOOK. Thanks!

http://www.bloglovin.com/en/blog/6015563 Follow this blog with bloglovin Follow on Bloglovin Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me comments.. I really appreciate all your visits and comments! Have a nice day :)

33 comments:

  1. This vegetarian omelette looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will have to try this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of mint omelettes as well, would have been a pretty unique taste! Yours look very delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been using for other dishes but never for omelette. Anyway we just love eggs and will try out your recipe when its eggs for another round at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nava, I never expect it to be so yummy too :)

      Delete
  5. This eggs must be so fragrant with mint!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ivy,
    When I was young, I do not like mint leaves. But now, when I eat asam laksa, I would ask for more! Your omelette looks delicious, perfect with rice and porridge too!
    Thank you for sharing with CYB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joyce, this is very yummy. I think your children will like it too :)

      Delete
  7. i am also like joyce..very greedy..will take more mint leaves when i eat curry mee. Never tried making it into omelette but i think it's a good idea for mint lovers !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ivy sew http://simplybeautifulhealthyliving.blogspot.com23 August 2013 at 21:26

      Yes, Lena. Yummy :)

      Delete
  8. Hi Ivy , love eggs , never had them with mint ... this is a must try . Thanks for sharing :).

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a delicious looking omelette!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Ivy:
    Healthy in placing mint with egg, never cross my mind using mint for that.
    I planted mint in my veggie garden only use for curry and tomyam, next time will have new idea in using it.
    Thanks for dropping by my blog. Hope to see you again.

    regards,
    yin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yin, try it for omelette. You will love it:

      Delete
  11. ivy so when we bite the mint leave we can feel the cool mint flavor? i never have this in the omelette. I just grow some mint in the pot but it still young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Xing Hui, it's sweet and minty flavour. Refreshing and yummy :)

      Delete
  12. Hi Ivy, I also have mint leaves growing in my garden and we cook omelette very often for dinner. Perhaps I should give this a try next time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ivy sew http://simplybeautifulhealthyliving.blogspot.com25 August 2013 at 14:30

      Yen, give this a try and who knows, your children will love this too :)

      Delete
  13. Ivy, I love mint but have not tried it in anything other than salad and kerabu. Must really try this omelette, I might like it too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phong Hong, I'm sure you will love it too :)

      Delete
  14. Hi Ivy! I did not like mint when I was younger! Smells nice but just didn't like it in my food. But my taste bud has since changed and I absolutely love mint now!

    But I have not used mint in my omelette yet. But now I would love to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alvin, once you give this a try, there will be more rounds to come as I'm sure you will like it too :)

      Delete
  15. delicious ... i want to have that for dinner

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Ivy, I love mint leaves. Your this omelet look delicious. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

    Best regards.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ivy, I'll have to try this. I do sometimes find the flavour of mint a bit strong. Cheers

    ReplyDelete

To receive new updates, do LIKE SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL AND HEALTHY LIVING FACEBOOK. Thanks for visiting my blog and have a nice day :)