Wednesday 9 October 2013

Braised Soft Tofu (Bean curd) with Thai Basil (Meatless Recipe)

Tofu (Japanese: 豆腐 or とうふ; Chinese: 豆腐), also called bean curd, is a food made by coagulating soy milk and then pressing the resulting curds into soft white blocks. It is a component in many East Asian and Southeast Asian cuisines. There are many different varieties of tofu, including fresh tofu and tofu that has been processed in some way. Tofu has a subtle flavor and can be used in savory and sweet dishes. It is often seasoned or marinated to suit the dish.  Please click  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tofu for more info on tofu.
 My family likes to eat tofu and I used to cook it regularly.  As for this braised tofu, the recipe just created out of what I can find in my fridge! You can add any ingredients that you like and it's still yummy.

Ingredients :
- 4 blocks of soft tofu (cut)
- 2 tomatoes (cut into wedges)
- a handful of shredded preserved mustard head/Spicy Szechuan Mustard (soaked)
- a handful of fresh Thai Basil
- 3 cloves garlic (crushed)
- oil
- water (add more water if you want extra sauce)
Seasonings : (to taste)
- 1 tbsp miso
- salt
- a dash of sugar

Method :
1)  Heat oil in a pan and lightly pan fry tofu.  
2)  Add garlic, tomatoes and shredded preserved mustard head.

3)  Lightly stir and mix well.  Then, add miso.

4)  Add water and braise over medium high heat.
5)  When it is almost done, add salt to taste, sugar and fresh Thai basil.

6)  Stir and mix well.
7)  Serve with steamed rice.
This dish is suitable for vegetarians and you can just omit the garlic for religious purposes
Or if you are just going for a meatless meal, this is just a perfect dish
Hope you like this simple yet healthy tofu dish


This post is linked to the event, Little Thumbs up organised by Doreen from my little favourite DIY and Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids, hosted by Mich of Piece of Cake at this post.


To receive new updates, do LIKE me on FACEBOOK. Thanks!
http://www.bloglovin.com/en/blog/6015563 Follow this blog with bloglovin Follow on Bloglovin Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me comments.. I really appreciate all your visits and comments! Have a nice day :)

32 comments:

  1. Hi dear, very healthy dish and look so delightful. Tofu and tomato are great pairing. I love tofu anytime, can take everyday also I won't get sick of it. There are hundred and one way to cook tofu and it's so versatile we can add any other ingredients we like. I like kiam chai with tofu and tomato soup, very shiok. One pot meal kow tim.

    Have a nice day. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi dear, I love kiam chai tofu soup too. Wow, we have no problem being neighbours and exchanging our home cooked food as our taste buds are more or less similar. Can save $$$ too! Hugs and muaks from me :)

      Delete
  2. Simple, healthy and yet delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ivy, I love tofu dishes & had it like once a week least once a week , This looks & sounds good . I'm definitely trying this recipe soon & thanks for sharing ! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kit, my youngest girl must have tofu at least once a week and if no tofu is being served on that particular week, she insisted to have it the following day :) So, sometimes, I just mixed and matched whatever is available. Have a wonderful day and cheers :)

      Delete
  4. Hello Ivy..dont think i will get some of these ingredients here, but sure it would have tasted great !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sona, too bad you can't get these ingredients at your place. Yes, it's very yummy. Do have a great day and cheers :)

      Delete
  5. Will try for this weekend. Its a wonderful vegetarian dish, what more I just need to pluck the leaves from my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ivy,
    Such a lovely homecooked comforting dish of tofu! I love the salted veggie in it, so I could finish the whole bowl! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joyce and yes, very yummy. You need extra rice too :)

      Delete
  7. Ivy, looking at the ingredient list i think this is a dish that must be bursting in flavors, yummy! Hope to give it a try soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks LHB and have a wonderful day ahead :)

      Delete
  8. I love the addition of Thai basil to this dish... very aromatic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Ivy, I see the preserved mustard vegetable.. omg it's my fav when I was younger but havent eaten in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Ivy , this dish has so many good flavors , I know it's delicious , , this is a must make thanks for sharing ")

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nee, thanks and yes, it is very yummy :)

      Delete
  11. My mother is a vegetarian. Sure she will love this dish. Thanks a lot for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy, this is indeed a very yummy dish for vegetarians. Glad that you can cook this for your mum :)

      Delete
  12. Hi Ivy!

    You prepare theeeee best Tofu dishes. I am always on the look-out for creative tofu meals and this one sure is a winner! Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louise, tofu is our favourite and I always prepare it in different ways and we never get fed up of tofu!

      Delete
  13. looks delicious....just mouthwatering!

    ReplyDelete
  14. hi ivy, i sure love this kind of tofu dishes ..sounds very appetising with tomatoes and char choi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lena, this dish is indeed very appetizing and easy to prepare too :) Have a nice day and cheers

      Delete
  15. Hello Ivy, you're the kind of lady under different circumstances can be very dangerous to bachelors.
    And it is your outstanding culinary skills.
    Your food dishes are simple, unlike those that needs a dictionary to understand, and yet looks, and I'm certain really forget mother's names or house address delicious.
    This dish I guess if invited for dinner will rosak my mother's name...making 3 plates of rice disappear, ha ha ha.
    You have a nice day, and keep a song in your heart.
    Lee.
    Drop by when not playing golf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee, hahahaha.... you have over complimented me! Anyhow, thanks so much for your sweet compliments. Yes, I can only afford to go for simple dishes as it saves me a lot of time and another one reason is I can't cook complicated dishes! You too, Lee, have a great day and always keep smiling :)

      Delete
  16. Ivy, this is a light, flavorful and healthy dish! It is also very versatile as we can add whatever is available. I like that very much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phong Hong and have a wonderful day ahead :)

      Delete

To receive new updates, do LIKE SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL AND HEALTHY LIVING FACEBOOK. Thanks for visiting my blog and have a nice day :)