Monday 12 August 2013

Mixed Vegetables with Fried Duck Eggs Soup

I grew up eating this Mixed Vegetables with Fried Duck Eggs Soup.  I still remember whenever mum cooked this soup, she would make sure to cook extra fried duck eggs. Know why?  There are 8 children in my family and if mum didn't cook enough deep fried eggs, we would be fighting for the eggs!!  Imagine, most of us could eat 2 or more of these fried duck eggs.  We just loved it.  Even now I have a family of my own, my children also love these eggs, and ME too.  Hubby so so only :)  Those days, we enjoyed cracking and shelling the hard boiled eggs and most of the time, mum cooked about 20 eggs or more at a time!! 

It has been quite some time I didn't cook this traditional soup until I saw the recipe in Yum Yum (52) pg 27 and this reminds me to cook for my family again.  
In my family, this traditional dish is usually cooked during any Chinese festivals.  As far as I know,  the Foo Chows of Sitiawan and Ayer Tawar, Perak cook this whenever there is a family member leaving home for studies or to start a new job.  It symbolizes smooth sailing in whatever they do and  all's well that ends well. Well, is there any one who can give me a better or accurate understanding of this traditional dish?  I may be wrong too.

Ingredients : (My version in red)
- 4 hard boiled duck eggs (shelled)
- 1/2 cup black fungus (soaked and cut into small pieces)
- 1/2 cup white fungus ( soaked and cut into small pieces)
- 2 dried mushrooms (soaked and shredded)
- 1/2 carrot (shredded)
- 1 bowl  cabbage (shredded)
- 1 bowl long cabbage (shredded)
- 1/2 tbsp tung choy (preserved vegetable)
- 2 thumbsized ginger (crushed)
- 3 cloves garlic (chopped)
- enough water for the soup (I used anchovies/ikan bilis stock)
- oil for frying
Seasonings :
- salt
- sugar
- pepper
-sesame oil
Method :
1)  Heat up enough oil.  Fry duck eggs until golden brown.  Dish up and set aside.

2)  Leave some oil in the wok.  Saute chopped garlic, ginger and tung choy until fragrant.  
3)  Add all the remaining ingredients except the cabbages and the fried eggs.  Stir until fragrant.
4)  Then, add the 2 types of cabbages.  Stir fry and mix well.

5)  Add ikan bilis stock/enough water depending on your preferences.  If you like soup, you can add more water.
6)  Bring to boil and lower the heat.  Simmer until the vegetables is cooked (about 10 to 15 minutes).
7)  Add in seasonings and add the fried eggs. Cover and let it simmer for a further 5 minutes.
8)  Dish out and serve.

Has anyone tried this soup before?
With this traditional dish, I wish everyone a smooth sailing in whatever you do!


I am submitting this post to Malaysian Food Fest Perak month hosted by WendyinKK of Table for Two….or more

I am also submitting this to the Little Thumbs Up "Egg" event organized by Bake for Happy Kids, my little favourite DIY and hosted by Baby Sumo of Eat Your Heart Out.

and this post is also linked to Cook-Your-Books #3 hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours.



To receive new updates, do LIKE me on FACEBOOK. Thanks!

http://www.bloglovin.com/en/blog/6015563 Follow this blog with bloglovin Follow on Bloglovin Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me comments.. I really appreciate all your visits and comments! Have a nice day :)

28 comments:

  1. Ivy, this is an interesting dish! In my house I will have to put more eggs too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phong Hong, my family are egg lovers too. Use duck eggs. They are tastier :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Ivy, Interesting dish with an interesting story behind it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Doris. It's a common dish but yummy :)

      Delete
  3. Foochow dishes and the general Cantonese and Hakka dishes are really different!
    Thanks for this post

    I think I need to cook 6 eggs or more.. my kids all egg lovers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, use duck eggs. Your kids will love it. This time I only cooked 4 eggs and my girls already complaining not enough!

      Delete
  4. Hi Ivy,
    Such an interesting dish! I have never heard of this dish before.
    Eggs are always so popular, especially so with kids!
    Thanks for linking! I have learn a new dish today! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joyce, surprisingly there are quite a number of readers who haven't heard of this dish. All the while I thought it's just a simple traditional dish. Maybe it's only popular in my hometown :)

      Delete
  5. I haven't try this dish before. But i think the fried duck eggs is really something special to me! I can imagine how tasty it is. I cooked fried eggs only when cooking yong tau foo and I love the golden colours of the eggs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jozelyn, try to cook this for your family. I'm sure your kids will love the fried duck eggs. Besides, the soup is yummy too :)

      Delete
  6. Ivy, this is the first time i hear that duck egg was frying, this is really special o. Haven't eat such kind of soup with the fry duck egg.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ivy , This looks yummy , my family is egg eaters so I will try this one . Thanks for sharings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nee, my family is egg eaters too and this fried duck eggs is our favourite :)

      Delete
  8. I haven't heard of this dish before but it does sound delicious and special. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Veronica, thanks for visiting my humble blog. This dish is common in my hometown and it is indeed yummy. :)

      Delete
  9. Hi Ivy,

    This is an interesting combination for a soup :D Nice to learn that this is a Perak dish too.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zoe, yes this traditional dish is from Ayer Tawar and Sitiawan in Perak.

      Delete
  10. 您好。看来这是一道很棒的年菜。要记录下来才可以。嘻嘻嘻 ~ 谢谢分享。

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is interesting, thanks for sharing this Foo Chow speciality and the meaning behind it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are always welcome and thanks too :)

      Delete
  12. Hi Ivy, This looks yummy and i love it too!
    BTW, are you from sitiawan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi May, I am from Ayer Tawar. Are you from Sitiawan too?

      Delete
    2. Yes Ivy, I am from Simpang Dua, Sitiawan.

      Delete
    3. It's a small small world, May. Hope to meet up with you one day :)

      Delete
  13. Hi Ivy this sounds really special. The other day I cooked scrambled duck eggs for the first time, now I hope to try hard boiled duck eggs for the first time too :) Thx for sharing this unique recipe with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yen, duck eggs of course is tastier than chicken eggs. I love duck eggs :)

      Delete

To receive new updates, do LIKE SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL AND HEALTHY LIVING FACEBOOK. Thanks for visiting my blog and have a nice day :)