Monday 30 September 2013

Turmeric Eggplant Rice (Meatless Recipe)

A very simple rice which is easy to be prepared and at the same time healthy and nutritious too.  I had no intention to cook this.  While looking through my fridge, I saw that I still had some brinjals/eggplants and lemongrass.  So, just took out the brinjal and beginning to wash it. As for the lemongrass, I had wanted to use it for a simple stewed chicken.  Oh gosh, I realised that the chicken meat was still in the freezer, ah....  At the spur of the moment, it crossed my mind that in order to make life easier for me, I decided to cook Fragrant Eggplant Rice , the one that I had posted earlier but wanted to have it different.  
So, this is the result of this simple one-pot rice meal!

Ingredients :
- 3 cups of rice (I used brown rice)
- water (the usual measurement  as per your rice cooker model, but less about 1/2" of water)
- 3 brinjals (washed and cut)
- 4 stalks of lemongrass (washed, slit and bruised)
- 1/2 tbsp of turmeric power
- 3 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 1 thumb size ginger (crushed)
- 1" cinnamon stick 
- 1 star anise
- 1 tbsp of ghee/butter (I used ghee)
- salt (to taste)
Method :
1)  Wash rice.  Add water but less about 1/2" of  water of  the usual measurement; depending on the model of your rice cooker.
2)  Add all the ingredients except brinjals and butter.  Stir and mix well and press the cook button; the usual way you cook your rice.
3)  When the rice is just about to cook (just before the cook button signal), add in the brinjals.  Continue cooking or keep warm for about half an hour.

4)  Then, add butter.  Stir and mix well.  Add extra salt if necessary.
5)  Serve warm.
This one-pot meal is great when you are busy but still prefer to have home-cooked food than take-away.
Quick, simple, healthy and nutritious meal
Have a wonderful day and cheers :)


I am submitting this to Back 2 School Event by Kachuss Delights




To receive new updates, do LIKE me on FACEBOOK. Thanks!
http://www.bloglovin.com/en/blog/6015563 Follow this blog with bloglovin Follow on Bloglovin Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me comments.. I really appreciate all your visits and comments! Have a nice day :)

30 comments:

  1. Hi my love, wah....now my lunch time ley, got cook extra? So can I drop by for your sooooo inviting one pot meal? Something new to me, haven't try this healthy rice. Look really awesome and I love anything with lemongrass and cinnamon flavor. You take brown rice most of the time? I hardly cook brown rice cos my family don't fancy. Nice click, look like 3D.

    See you later, going back to office liaw. A big hugs to you and lots of love to my dearest ....Byeeeeee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha. dear Amelia. Come over! I have cooked extra for you! Sure or not? Look like 3D??? hahaha... you must be joking. Just for your info, you should see my old posts pictures! Just one look at those photos, already no appetite liao, hahaha... Anyway, thanks so much for your compliments and kind words. Take care and have a great day, dear :)

      Delete
  2. This looks easy and delicious! I would love to give it a try as I am needing plenty of easy and fast to cook recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Mich, when you are busy and do not know what to cook, try this simple one-pot dish. Have a nice day, Mich :)

      Delete
  3. hello ivy dear...amboiii ini betul2 menggoda hati dan fikiran akak ni...akak ni kan hantu terung heheh...terung masak apa pun ngam! ni betul new experience ni, tak pernah masak terung dalam nasi tapi boleh cuba!
    pssst dear, aritu masa tengah pelik dengan sayur chayote tu kan, melambak2 kat pasar, sekali tu time akak nak beli, boleh takder stock? grrr...
    betul la tak sporting! hahaha...

    ivy, tengok kat tarikh post you ni ialah semalam, tapi why today baru masuk dlm link akak eh? tak faham betul la...
    akak nak tulis komen dalam blog Uncle Lee pun tak boleh, macam kena block jer...mungkin blogspot problem kot...
    hmmm kacau mood jer kan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi dear Kak Q, tak lah. I baru post aje. Line kak atau pc kak mengamuk kah? hahahaha... Betul, I pun minat terung dan boleh makan tiap2 hari, goreng ke, kari ke, campur nasi ke, panggang ke, apa2 aje... I sapu semua, hahaha.... Ah... I got to go now, kerja masa ni. Anyway, Kak Q, you have a great and wonderful day, ok and take care!

      Delete
  4. I love brinjals but too bad the men in my house dont, can i come by for some? I promise i won't be greedy ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aiyoh.... whatever it is, just give me a tinkle, and I will cook for you. So, pls let me know date and time, LHB Cheers :)

      Delete
  5. I like this meatless rice. Healthy and looks delicious too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just admiring the outcome and for sure those ingredients came together for the flavors and what more scented with lemongrass.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Ivy, I eat to live, not live to eat, and love simple dishes like what you posted here. I am impressed with your cooking, and will say that yours has that very special ingredient called 'love'.
    A woman learns to cook so that she doesn't have to be a slave to recipes. She get what's in season and she knows what to do with it.
    And if not for a woman's cooking I would not have lost my Bachelor's degree and a woman gaining her Masters.

    All the women I dated will very often tell me where there are nice places for dinner.
    But only one said, "Lee, come over for dinner. I'll cook your favourite dishes"!
    And? I married the cook! Habis cherita.
    I was warned about beautiful women. But nobody warned me about women who can cook!
    You keep well, and keep a song in your heart.
    Lee.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee, wow... I am speechless. Just don't know what to say. Anyway, thanks so much for your wonderful compliments and beautiful words. Do have a great and wonderful day with your family. Keep smiling :)

      Delete
  8. Hi Ivy , what a great dish , bowl in hand at the kitchen door , let me in thanks for sharing :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nee, the kitchen door is opened. Do help yourself :) Have a great day, dear.

      Delete
  9. This one-dish meal is delicious. One-dish meals come in handy when we've run out of ideas what to cook or due to time constraint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Cheah, very convenient and easy too. Take care and cheers :)

      Delete
  10. What an interesting dish, Ivy. I don't think I would ever have come up with combining eggplant, rice and lemon grass into one tasty dish. It sounds so yummy, I must remember to try it one day.

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louise, it's simple and fuss free and great when you have run out of idea what to cook. Have a wonderful day, Louise :)

      Delete
  11. Ivy, this meatless one dish meal look so inviting and healthy.
    Cheers!
    mui

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mui Mui, thanks and have a great day :)

      Delete
  12. Ivy, love this easy and simple recipe. this is good when in rush and the taste sure very flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow Ivy..this shud be soo fragrant..esp with lemon grass. I definitely wil try adding it to reice next time i make something like that...thanks a bunch for ur lovely words on my post.
    keep in touch, n warm regards,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sona, thanks and by the way, its my pleasure too. Have a great day and cheers :)

      Delete
  14. Hi Ivy,

    As I was reading your post and comments, I can't help to notice Uncle Lee's comment about you... He sure likes women that cooks including you :p

    Like he said, I think that you should be proud with your cooking as everything that you cook looks so healthy and delicious :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Zoe, you sure brighten up my days! Thanks so much for your wonderful and generous compliments. hahaha... Uncle Lee is pulling my legs lah. Once again, Zoe, thanks so much for your sweet words and do have a great day ahead. Keep smiling and cheers :)

      Delete
  15. Howdy Ivy! Wow...this such an interesting vegetarian dish. Sounds intrigued to me.
    Hope you're having a great week ahead.
    Blessings, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Kristy. You have a great week ahead too. Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete

To receive new updates, do LIKE SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL AND HEALTHY LIVING FACEBOOK. Thanks for visiting my blog and have a nice day :)