Wednesday 17 July 2013

Bubur Lambuk or Spiced Porridge/Congee (using Toshiba Rice Cooker)

This year the fasting month for Muslims began on 10 July.  As such, a month-long  Ramadan Bazaar can be seen in most of the places offering a variety of delicacies to Muslims and non-Muslims alike. Those days, I really enjoyed going to Pasar Ramadan as we were be spoilt with a variety of mouth-watering delicacies, be it savoury dishes or sweet desserts.    Yesterday I went to Ramadan Bazaar near my place to pack some food for dinner.  I also bought a tub of bubur lambuk (spiced porridge/congee).  It's so expensive. Imagine a very small tub of this porridge was sold at RM5.  Instead of beef, they had shredded chicken in it and what I got was a miserable one or two shredded chicken!  Luckily the taste is quite good.   So what, I decided to cook my own bubur lambuk when I saw Wendy's Bubur Lambuk which she posted for KL Selangor Food Fest.  My recipe is basically based on Wendy's recipe with some minor changes.  Wendy, thanks for sharing your recipe!
This porridge is really superb and great!  I adjust the measurement accordingly and the flavour of the spices is just amazing!  I added extra coconut milk (santan) as I love santan.  It's very creamy and smooth.  However, my hubby doesn't like too much santan.  I'm sure there will be many more rounds of  Bubur Lambuk from me but will reduce the santan or omit it, just to please the man of the house!! hehehehehe...
Do give this a try.  It's packed with sweet aroma of spices.

Ingredients :
- 1.5 cups rice
- 1 bowl finely sliced chicken fillet (marinated with soy sauce and pepper)
- 1 medium red onion (sliced)
- 4 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 4 lemongrass (slit and crushed)
- some pandan leaves (cut)
- 1 tbsp dried shrimp (rinsed and finely chopped)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp ghee or butter (I used ghee)
- 1 Tbsp oil

Spices :
- 2 inches cinnamon stick (kulit kayu manis)
- 1 tsp fenugreek (halba)
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds (jintan manis)
- 1/2 tsp fennel powder (serbuk jintan manis)
- 1 star anise (bunga lawang)
- 5 cardamoms (buah pelaga)
- 4 cloves (bunga cengkih)
-1 tsp kurma spice (rempah kurma)

Garnish :
Sliced chinese celery
Sliced spring onions
Crispy shallots and garlic


Method :


1)  Wash rice and add water accordingly.  Tear pandan leaves into the rice cooker.
2)  Close and press the  'Congee' button.
3)  Meanwhile, heat oil and ghee in a wok.  Saute onions and garlic until fragrant.
4)  Then, add in spices and chicken meat.
5)  Stir fry until the chicken meat is blended with the spices and almost dry.
6)  Add in chopped dried shrimps.  Stir and mix well.
7)  Dish out and set aside.
8)  When there is a beep sound from the rice cooker, transfer the spiced chicken  into the rice cooker.
9)  Close and press 'Quick Cook/Steam' button.
10) When there is a beep sound, open the lid and remove the pandan leaves.
11)  Add in hot water as required.
12)  Season with salt.  Stir and close.
13)  Press the 'Quick Cook/Steam' button.
14)  Continue cooking and add in hot water if necessary.  Wait for the beep sound.


15)  Add santan.  Stir and mix well.  Close.
16)  Press 'Quick Cook/Steam' button .
17)  Let it keep 'Warm' for about 1 hour before serving.
18)  Serve hot.
19)  Garnish with Chinese celery, spring onions and crispy shallots & garlic.
Note :  The whole process takes about 2.5 to 3 hours depending on your method of cooking (either using slow cooker, rice cooker, pressure cooker or gas stove).  I am using brown rice.  So, if you are using white rice, the cooking time is faster than brown rice.

I am submitting this post to Malaysian Food Fest Kuala Lumpur Selangor Month hosted by Shannon of Just As Delish.

To receive new updates, do LIKE me on FACEBOOK. Thanks! http://www.bloglovin.com/en/blog/6015563 Follow this blog with bloglovin Follow on Bloglovin Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me comments.. I really appreciate all your visits and comments! Have a nice day :)

14 comments:

  1. What an intriguing meal Ivy. I can just imagine the flavors and aromas. I would love to give this a try so I am bookmarking it for "someday:)

    It's such a shame holiday dishes are so expensive and not as well made at the time that they should be special. Well, at least you have given this dish a try and got to enjoy a whole lot more for the money!

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Louise. Everything is so expensive nowadays. So, in order to be thrifty and economical, it's better to have a home-cooked food and being enjoyed by the whole family. We had this for dinner with just a simple stir-fried romaine lettuce. Simple, yummy, healthy and fulfilling :)

      Delete
  2. just one or two slices of shredded chicken? that's really miserable! i hv yet to go to the ramadhan bazaar, tried to go the other day but couldnt find parking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lena, indeed very miserable! I'm already generous enough to say 'shredded'. In fact it's so thin that we couldn't feel the chicken in our mouth,hahaha... Home-cooked is always the best!

      Delete
  3. Hi Ivy! What a beautiful homely and comfort food you have there! Perfect for lunch especially on wet cold days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alvin, yes, it's indeed a very homely and yummy porridge. My children already asked me to cook again for next week lunch!

      Delete
  4. I love my rice cooker! Can't wait to try this dish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I love mine too! Using rice cooker to cook bubur lambuk is so much easier and no worries of any spilled over.

      Delete
  5. I have yet to try bubur lambuk, it must be very fragrant with all the spices & santan.. yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shannon, it's very delicious and I follow Wendy's recipe with some minor changes. You know I couldn't believe myself that I managed to cook such a delicious bubur lambuk, hahahaha... No regrets :)

      Delete
  6. I think that homemade is almost always better! I love coconut milk too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and it's cheaper too :) Have an enjoyable weekend :)

      Delete
  7. Interesting to see coconut in a porridge. Bet it tastes great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley, yes, for those who love coconut milk, the porridge is superb but not for those who don't take coconut milk :)

      Delete

To receive new updates, do LIKE SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL AND HEALTHY LIVING FACEBOOK. Thanks for visiting my blog and have a nice day :)