Thursday 6 March 2014

Refreshing Ampula Juice and Its Health Benefits

Wow, I am so happy when a good friend gave me some home grown hog plums (small type) also known as Tahitian apple. Its scientific name is Spondias dulcis. In Sinhalese it is called Ambarella, and commonly known as Ampula or Ambla in Penang. It is also known as Buah Kedondong among Malays. This home grown Ambla which my friend gave me is 100% organic and is known to have many benefits and medicinal values too. Buah kedondong is a tropical fruit commonly found in South and South East Asia. There are different types of kedondong; big and small. It comes with an oval shape. Kedondong has a single seed and has lots of fiber. The fruit can be eaten raw; the flesh is crunchy and has sweet sourish flavour.
Ambarella is one of the richest known source of vitamin C. It is said to contain 30 times the amount found in oranges. As such, it is extremely common to see the locals use it for treating throat and respiratory tract infections.
Besides, it is regarded as sacred by Indian and Tibetan healers who believe it has special anti-ageing and immune enhancing properties. Traditionally, it’s used to treat indigestion, fever, liver problems and anaemia.
Not only is ambarella revered by Ayurvedic (ancient Indian) practitioners, it is also said that extensive research has revealed that it is beneficial in preventing and treating many conditions including stress, hay fever, arthritis, cataracts, and even cancer! Chinese researchers have discovered that ambla fruit is a rich source of therapeutic chemicals, including quercetin (which is also found in apples), gallic and ellagic acids (found in green tea). It has powerful antioxidants, which help protect you from harmful free radicals that increase the risk of some serious diseases including cancer.

Here are some benefits you can get from this nutritious fruit:

• Ambarella leaves can be dried and ground until powdery and used to treat mouth sores.
• People suffering from diarrhea, dysentery and loose bowel movement can take a decoction of ambarella bark to ease discomfort.
• The root can be used to treat itchy skin.
• The seeds of the amabrella fruit are proven to lower high blood pressure and treat respiratory ailments due to their antibiotic content.
• Boil the leaves of ambarella and apply the liquid substance on the skin as a substitute for lotion and moisturizers
• Ambarella is also an excellent treatment for headaches, constipation and even diabetes.



For someone who's unfamiliar with ambarella, you may be wondering what nutrients it possesses. Indeed, this fruit boasts of healthy goodness all throughout. For a serving of 100g of ambarella, there is 0.6g of protein, 0.2g of fat, and 91.0g moisture. It also has 0.7g fiber, 5.7g of calcium, and iron of 0.4g. It's also loaded with niacin, vitamin A, ascorbic acid, and carotene which boost the immune system and fight against cancer.

Ambarella can be taken as it is or you can make use of its other parts. As mentioned, you can use its bark, leaves, and seeds for medicinal purposes. Having your daily serving of ambarella can surely make you healthy and be protected against harmful ailments.

(source : http://food-drink.blurtit.com/1318125/what-are-the-health-benefits-of-ambarella-spondias-cytherea-also-known-as-the-hog-plum-or)

Buah Kedondong is also one of the favourite ingredients in rojak (Malaysian fruits salad). Some like to eat it fresh with dipping sauce - a mixture of thick soy sauce, sugar and bird’s eye chillies. Some like to have it pickled but I prefer to make it into juice. The juice is commonly known as ampula in Malaysia.

Ingredients for Refreshing Ampula Juice : (to taste)
- 6 young ambarella fruits (washed and halved)
- 1 or 2 suen buehs/preserved sweet sour plums
- 300ml water
Direction :
1) Put cut ambarella and water into a juicer or blender. I used powerful blender as I do not wish to waste even a single fiber of the fruit! Lols.
2) Blend it into juice.
3) Serve it with ice cubes and sour plum/suen bueh.


You can add honey/sugar to make it sweeter
I prefer it without any sweetener
Isn't this a delightful and refreshing juice especially during the current scorching hot and hazy weather?
Here's a glass of healthy and refreshing Ampula juice just for you.
Have a fabulous day ahead :)



To receive new updates, do LIKE me on FACEBOOK. Thanks! Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me comments.. I really appreciate all your visits and comments! Have a nice day :)

53 comments:

  1. Hi Ivy! I love this ampula juice. It is very refreshing and tasty. I also love it in rojak. I never knew that it has so many health benefits. I will be sure to buy some when I see it at the supermarket. Time to eat and drink healthy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Phong Hong, it's indeed very refreshing and tasty too. This morning I just had it plain without suen buey. Good for slimming too! Regards.

      Delete
  2. Wow good post . Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ivy! This is one of my favorite fruit juices. Besides a very refreshing taste, I find it helps to cure sore throats. Thanks for sharing the many other health benefits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi LTB, Ampula juice seems to be among the ladies' favorite too. Do you know that it is also used for slimming and reduce tummy fat? Yes, it's very effective for sore throats too! Cheers :)

      Delete
  4. I'd love this refresing drink more so now in this hot weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheah, yes, especially the current hot weather, having a glass of ambula juice with lots of ice cubes is heaven!! You have a great weekend ahead :)

      Delete
  5. Se ve preciosa la bebida y bien servida muy refrescante debe ser un antioxidante poderos,abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ivy , this a new one for me , I will check the market for them . This drink sounds and looks so smooth and delicious. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nee, make this drink if you managed to get fruits from your local market. It's refreshing and healthy too. Warmest regards and cheers :)

      Delete
  7. So beautiful and healthy drink......ur detailed description about the fruit is simply awesome.....Thanx for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Remya, my pleasure. Glad that you like this refreshing and healthy juice. You have a fabulous day ahead :)

      Delete
  8. My fav drink because I love the tang and zing. Planted the tree and keeping my fingers crossed. Surely hoping for the fruits.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Beena, thanks for dropping by. You have a wonderful day ahead :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Rosita, thanks for visiting my humble blog. Ampula juice is indeed very refreshing and yummy too. You have a great day ahead :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Nava, I am planning to plant ambula tree too. Trying to get some seedlings from my friend or will just buy it from a nursery. Worth growing our own plants as commercialized fruits are not organic and expensive too. A glass of ampula juice is selling at RM3.50 to RM4.50 and what you get is more water than the juice with added sugar! Warmest regards :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This does look very refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never heard about this fruit before. But it sounds fantastic! I'm intrigued

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful color beverage! I love hearing about all of the fruits that (alas) we cannot get here. Perhaps someday I will get to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sure sounds refreshing! I have never seen these fruits before.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Ivy, now I knowing buah kedondong is also a "beauty fruit", anti aging n reduce tummy fat . will make an effort to drink this juice more often. .."wink"
    You stay beautiful & healthy
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG i am so tempted right now...cant say how much i love this...I wish summers were strong here in the UK:(...
    Love ur space:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks YC for dropping by. Cheers:

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Cathleen, thanks for visiting my humble blog. This fruit is abundant in Malaysia and it's very refreshing when make into juice. You may try to get it from your local Asian market. Regards :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Inger, thanks for your sweet compliments. Yes, if you managed to get the fruits, try to make it into juice. You won't regret it for sure. Very refreshing. You have a wonderful day ahead and regards :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Mich, eh, surprising you can't find sar lei in Singapore? Maybe you should try it in JB. Regards :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Cheryl, thanks for taking your time to drop by. Yes,besides being a beauty fruit, it has health and medicinal values as well. So, keep taking this fruit if you want to stay young, beautiful and sexy too! hahahha *wink* Regards :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Shweta, thanks for visiting my humble blog. This fruit juice is great during summer as it's very refreshing and cooling !! Regards :

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello Ivy, outstanding posting. Holy Smoke! I've been eating this fruit from very young as my grandfather's estate had several trees. My mom would cut them up and we eat with hah koh,
    Only last weekend I saw a lot at a Chinese supermarket here, they from Thailand.
    Never knew this fruit has all that very potent medical benefits. Just wondering whether can help in marathons? Ha ha ha.

    I guess I'll give drink the juice a pass, but prefer eat with hah koh and chilli. Oh ya, those days when seeing movies my girlfriends would buy those pickled ones from those fruit stalls out cinemas. And I remember eating them sitting on the seawall at Gurney drive at nights.
    Right, thanks to your this very informative post, I shall now look at the fruit differently....will try get some this weekend.
    Have a nice day, and keep a song in your heart.
    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such a detailed and well explained post,love the clicks,great space here,very happy to follow you and will be glad if you can follow me back :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi my dear, buah dondong.... my favorite. My MIL house got this buah dondong tree,I often pluck the fruits to make pickles. Love this with sugar, black sauce and chili padi too. Thanks for sharing the health benefit of this fruits. EXCELLENT posting!

    Have a lovely evening lepak-ing. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amelia dear, Hi5, my favorite too! I love the juice and having it raw with the black dipping sauce too. However, just never fancy the pickled ones. Thanks for your ever sweet compliments. Hugs and muaks to you too :)

      Delete
  27. Hi Shane, As usual, you are always giving me motivation and encouragement to improve more. With such sweet compliments from you, there's no excuse from me not to be motivated for more improvement, right?
    Yes, I like it with har koh and lots of chili padi too but I don't really fancy the pickled ones. You are right. You give me the idea to have the juice with honey and bee pollen as well. This combination is a sure 'marathon' ones taking into consideration of its many health benefits. hahaha... Besides, drinking the juice as well as the decotion of its barks or leaves, will give you smooth complexion!! Do try the juice if you managed to see it again at your local market. I am sure your wife would love it too. Do let me know if you managed to get the fruits.
    You stay young and healthy,
    Ivy

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks Harini for dropping by my humble blog. Yes, I have followed you back. Thanks for your sweet compliments. you have a wonderful week ahead :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I didn't know kedondong have to many health benefits, thanks for sharing. must look out for it & juice myself. the juice sold at shops are always too sweet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shannon, yes, it has lots of health benefits as well as medicinal values. Not only the commercial juice is sweet, it is expensive too! Warmest regards :)

      Delete
  30. Hi Ivy, when I next see this fruit will think of you, ha ha....
    Holy Smoke! We had miniskirt weather 3 days. Now major snowstorm about to hit us anytime now. No more miniskirt!
    And Spring officially arrives next week, Mar 20th!
    Ahhhh, I know, go chari this fruit, eat and think of you, ha ha.
    Goodnight from Canada.
    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Ivy!
    Once again you have introduced me to yet another intriguing delectable. Not only do I wish to sample a sip, I would love to know about growing it. Is it a bush or a tree? What kind of climate does it grow in? You have shared all these wonderful health benefits and refreshing drink now I want to try it:) I will look in my Asian market to see if they carry it. My list for the Asian market just keeps growing., lol...

    You have done a fabulous job of sharing your gift with us Ivy. Thank you so much for researching and letting us know of all of this healthy goodness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louise, it's a tree and this fruit tree is abundantly and easily grown in tropical country. I do hope you can get it at your local Asian market. You will love it especially when make into juice. Very refreshing ..... Thanks for dropping by, Louise and best regards :)

      Delete
    2. Hi Ivy,
      I don't live in a tropical climate but it sure would be fun to try! Thanks Ivy...

      Delete
  32. Hi Shane, It's nice to see you dropping by again. Thanks. Oh dear, you having another major snowstorm? Do take care and keep warm. Don't worry, miniskirt weather will be in very soon and you will be grinning from east to west!!! Glad that you will be thinking of me when eating buah kedondong, hahaha... :) Me too! *wink*
    Best regards,
    Ivy

    ReplyDelete
  33. Ivy, I have never heard or seen this fruit...so interesting...I wish I could taste it. Thanks for this informative post my dear...always learning from you.
    Hope you are having a fabulous week my dear :D

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Ivy, how I wish I can gulp a glass down my throat right away. I love this drink but I don't trust the bottled ones from the stores. Most welcome drink during this hot season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kimmy, lai lai, I still have some fruits around. Still can afford to belanja you 2 glasses and with lots of ice cubes! Yes, with the current scorching hot and hazy weather, this is the best juice as it's refreshing and also home remedy for sore throat! Cheers and best regards :)

      Delete
  35. Hi Juliana, too bad you haven't heard of this fruit. Well, if you are interested, you may try to look for it at your local Asian market. Who knows you might find the fruit there. By the way, thanks for your sweet words. Here's wishing you a wonderful week too, dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Ivy...
    Your Ampula Juice looks so refreshing! Making me wish for a big glass of it. Gosh, why all of a sudden I felt thirsty! Huhuhu,,, thanks to you...

    There is another name for this Buah Kedondong. It is called Buah Amra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MamaFami, Yes, very refreshing juice. Oh yeah, it's buah amra. Thanks for reminding. You have a great day ahead :)

      Delete
  37. What an amazing fruit.
    I'm stunned by all its health benefits and it looks wonderful refreshing too.
    Thanks for sharing this valuable information Ivy!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi Daniela, yes, ampula fruit does have many health benefits and when make into juice, it's very refreshing and great for thirst quencher too! You have a wonderful day ahead and cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hola Ivy, i jst got tis germ last nite from a friend, i am away from my hometown which is tropical country, my parent used to hve few trees, big fruits type & small fruits types of trees, i eat it either raw or whn its got ripe (yellow), whn i moved to another country, which is also tropical, wow... i m so glad i hvr tis beauty! I was searching to how to make it juice, so i found your sharing, waiting to taste it soon:-) good to read ur sharing, hve a gre8t day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alice in Wonderland,
      No. I didn't peel the skin. It's very nutritious.

      Delete
  40. That’s really a good post! This Ampula Juice is looking so yummy and healthy. I would also like to try it. Have you ever tried Green drink anytime? I also love green drink made up of spinach and avocado. It’s really yummy try it!!

    ReplyDelete

To receive new updates, do LIKE SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL AND HEALTHY LIVING FACEBOOK. Thanks for visiting my blog and have a nice day :)