Wednesday 29 October 2014

Steamed Scallion Flower Rolls/Buns (花卷)

Last week I harvested a big bunch of scallions from my mini edible garden.  I have been quite eager to try Steamed Scallion Flower Rolls when I first chanced upon it in Facebook. Then, I happened to see a post by Kit quite sometimes back.  In fact, this is one of  the many recipes which I have been procrastinated but this time around, without any hesitation, I went into action and finally, I am happy to say that the buns turned out very successful and delectable too!!!  
Recipe source : Kit
Ingredients :
- 1/2 packet yeast
- 3 cups pau flour
- 1 cup of warm milk
- 6 tbsp sugar
- ¼ cups vegetable oil ( I used sunflowers oil)

For the glaze:
- 3 tbsp chopped scallions
- 1 small carrot ( shredded) (I omitted)
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp sesame oil

Method :
1) I used bread machine for the dough. Add ingredients as per your machine instruction to form dough and let it proof.

2) While waiting for your dough to proof in the machine, mix all the ingredients for the glaze and set aside .

3) Knead the dough again before dividing it into 12 egg sized pieces.

4) With a rolling pin, roll each pieces of dough into a long oval. Brush with glaze and make few slits.

5) Twist the dough and shape into a knot.



6) Place on square parchment paper . Cover and proof the buns again for 40 to 60 mins .

7) Steam the buns in steamer for 10 to 13 mins.

The bun is very smooth, soft and fluffy
We had this for lunch...
Best served warm
Great for breakfast too



To receive new updates, do LIKE SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL AND HEALTHY LIVING on FACEBOOK. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me comments. I really appreciate all your visits and comments! Have a nice day :)

30 comments:

  1. They look yummy. What a neat idea and dish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Ivy...

    You steamed buns look so cute. But I won't be doing this at home, at least not to serve the family, I will end up having to finish the whole lot! Huhuhu... If I ever tried this recipe, then rest assure it is for the sake of updating the blog! Hahahaha....

    Mmmm... you are making me wish for some red bean pau! Huwaaaa.... *lazy mode*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MamaFaMi, thanks for dropping by. You know, even just a plain steamed bun is also very sedap leh... Ribuan terima kasih and salam mesra :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Shazzy for visiting my humble blog. Nice to meet you and you have a great day :)

      Delete
  4. Looks so splendid. Like its twist and the outcome flavoured with scallions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Pamela and you have a wonderful day ahead. Cheers :)

      Delete
  6. Looks good... and what a wonderful feeling to use the harvest from your mini garden, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yen, the feeling is great when you managed to get good harvest. Do enjoy your week and regards :)

      Delete
  7. Such a delicious buns... First time to your blog and its amazing to find great recipes... Happy to follow you via GFC. Do hop into my blog at your leisure...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ree, thanks for visiting my humble blog and your sweet compliments. Just followed you via GFC too and cheers :)

      Delete
  8. Another nice one, Ivy! Really have to salute you again as your rolls are so perfectly formed and look so smooth and soft. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phong Hong, you too can DO IT!!!! Still waiting for your first bread and bun... bila huh??? anyway, thanks for your compliments and do have a beautiful week :)

      Delete
  9. Hi Ivy,
    Such delicious looking buns! I love spring onions and always grow them in my little potted garden too!
    This is a nice and delicious way of using the spring onions.
    Perfect for snacking with a cup of tea! yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, lokks beautifull and damn delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are beautiful Ivy! I would think you had been making these for years!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Ivy!
    Gracious me, those buns are simply beautiful! You did a wonderful job. Kudos to you for harvesting your very own home grown scallions!!! Oh how I wish I could even think about making such bundles of goodness. Who knows, perhaps one day I will try:) May I ask, Ivy, what is pau flour?

    Thank you so much for sharing these lovelies Ivy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louise, thanks for your sweet compliments. By the way, pau flour is Hong Kong flour for making buns. You have a wonderful day and warmest regards :)

      Delete
  13. Hi Ivy, that's a nice looking flower buns. The texture look soft and fluffy. Getting very pro now, no need to buy buns and breads from shop anymore. Homemade is still the best.

    Best regards.
    Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amelia. Yeah, still learning and not pro yet. Yes, agreed with you, homemade is the best. You have wonderful day and warmest regards :)

      Delete
  14. Hello Ivy, hey...I've never tried this before. Looks delicious! Must get my 1st wife to try it out as lots of that scallions in our supermarkets.
    Can see your repertoire of food dishes enough to satisfy the most demanding palates...not to mention MIL.
    Good presentation too.
    Can practically get the nice scent from here.
    Keep well,
    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shane, too bad you have never tried this steamed buns before. It's very yummy and I am sure your wife would have no problem making this. I think it's like makan kacang for her, no sweat!
      Thanks for your ever sweet compliments and always nice to see you drop by.
      You have a fabulous day and warmest regards :)
      Ivy

      Delete

To receive new updates, do LIKE SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL AND HEALTHY LIVING FACEBOOK. Thanks for visiting my blog and have a nice day :)